Parsing Subfolders?

Any questions? Need some help?
roysubs

Parsing Subfolders?

Post by roysubs »

Hi, I have TV shows in folders, so D:\TV has my shows, then "D:\TV\Blackadder", "D:\TV\South Park", and about 100 other shows all organised there.

I see no way to get FileBot to parse subfolders? i.e. I would like to point it at D:\TV, and then get it to scan all subfolders, for Renaming, and for Subtitle collection. Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to control FileBot from the command line (in which case, I could set up vbscript or cmd scripts to do the above)? Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Parsing Subfolders?

Post by rednoah »

Yes, what seems to be problem? Have you read the FAQ and watched the video tutorials?

GUI:
1. Drop D:/TV
2. Match against TheTVDB

CLI:
A. Process all at once: -rename -r --db TheTVDB -non-strict
B. Process all folder by folder: http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic ... &t=5#p2211

B usually works better, but A you could have easily figured out just by doing filebot -help, or reading any docs.

PS: Don't call filebot -rename on the same files over and over. You must have one input folder, and one output folder and the output folder can't be inside the input folder.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
roysubs

Post by roysubs »

Hi, that's great, thanks for the reply.

No, I didn't know about the console options, because:
a) I saw nothing to say that this was possible, and
b) Whenever I open the "Filebot (console)", I receive the following
"<Date> <Time> java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences (init)
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root @x800000002. Windows RegCreateRegEx(...) returned error code 5"."
This is on a newly installed Win 8 with latest java installed.

Also, the thing you said about about D:\TV does *not* work. I have tried this dozens of times. So, I open the GUI. I then press say "Rename", then I press the "Load" button at the bottom of the screen, then I navigate in to D:\TV, and without pressing a folder, I press Open. Nothing happens. If there is some non-Windows type way that this operates, can you let me know, would be great to be able to do this. When I go to "Subtitles" etc, the same applies, go into D:\TV, and then the Open button does not work.

Suggestion: The GUI is completely blank of any information about itself. Maybe an icon below SFV, just saying "Help" or "?" that either opens a local file with information, or simply links to a page on your site with Help, Usage, Tips etc would be great (as I see that the FAQ page does now that I've seen it), as the first times I opened the tool, I didn't think to go to your site's FAQ (no other app expects you to go to the sites FAQ without at least mentioning that somewhere, like in a "Help" or "?" button on the app), so I just fumbled about a bit until I got it to work. It's a great tool, and I think it's fantastic that you've written this, but please put a few pointers in the app itself.

EDIT: I have discovered how to get it to parse D:\TV. I have to specifically go one level above, then *select* the TV folder and then press Open. Standard Windows dialogues don't work this way. "Open" in standard Windows dialogue terminology will open a folder (i.e. go INTO that folder). Try this with Word, or any possible Windows application, if the dialogue says "Open" then it will not parse that folder, but go INTO the folder. If FileBot follows the Windows UI conventions on this, I think that you should change the "Open" to "Load" or "Use this Location", or anything other than "Open" due to how it goes against the Windows UI. To clarify, the UI says "Load" but the dialogue box itself says "Open" and *ALL* Windows UI dialogue boxes that present a folder view and have the word "Open" will not LOAD a folder, but will Open it. This is the same for every Windows application except FileBot. oh, and as said, a "Help" button under "SFV" would be great also! :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

a) I though I made it hard not to find...
Getting Started wrote:Use FileBot from the command-line! There is a simple CLI for core tasks like renaming media files and fetching subtitles as well as checking or creating SFV files.

b) It's a Java warning. I can't do anything about that. Just ignore it. Win8 permissions are stopping it from saving cross-user preferences.

c) Here's all the help you need:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSFKiwF ... -5RoMclWPt

(and of course reading the FAQ)

The dialogs are generally untested, and only there for noobs. Use drag and drop! :ugeek:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
roysubs

Post by roysubs »

rednoah wrote:a) I though I made it hard not to find...
Getting Started wrote:Use FileBot from the command-line! There is a simple CLI for core tasks like renaming media files and fetching subtitles as well as checking or creating SFV files.
sure. I download maybe 30-40 apps a month, not to mention the tons of complex administration and programming tools I use in work. Ideally, I would spend time reading all the docs for all that stuff ;) It's quite hard to find mate. The app has no help to indicate. If I open the app now, nothing there, no indication or link to help or FAQ. If you put a link for Help just on the front of the GUI, then people will see it as we all tons of apps right and it's often not clear what/where to look? This is starting to look a really good app for sure though now that I see the great stuff you've put in and the the full command-line support, great stuff. I can use your built in syntax and use wrappers for anything else I want.
rednoah wrote:b) It's a Java warning. I can't do anything about that. Just ignore it. Win8 permissions are stopping it from saving cross-user preferences.
Sure, it's no problem. Just thought this was just another half-complete app (one of the hundreds that I try out in a year). Thanks, good to know that's just a Win 8 thing that I can ignore (put that at the top of the FAQ and put a link to the faq *in* the app! :idea: )
rednoah wrote:c) Here's all the help you need: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSFKiwF ... -5RoMclWPt
(and of course reading the FAQ)
Great, I'll spend more time going through everything as it does look like this is a great app that's going to get even better.
rednoah wrote:The dialogs are generally untested, and only there for noobs. Use drag and drop! :ugeek:
Have you tried using drag and drop with Subtitles? Give it a shot sometime ... ;)