New User can't understand the narative on the Video tut.

Any questions? Need some help?
six-h

New User can't understand the narative on the Video tut.

Post by six-h »

I'm totally lost!
System: Vista
Java : 7 Update 60
Installed using your own installer, (would like to have had the opportunity to install away from "C:" drive)

Trying to rip and name the whole 36 disk series of M*A*S*H to my PC so that I can stream to my TV Using Serviio

As I say, I'm a total "newb", as an experiment, I have tried first ripping just Disk 1 using "MakeMKV".
...Magic! all 8 episodes on that disk now ripped, Soundtracks and subtitles all intact!

I am told, I now need to use FileBot to make these files useable by Serviio.

As a trial, I have loaded a "copy" of just the first file/track into the left hand pane, "Original Files" window.
Highlighted it and right clicked in the "Right Hand Pane" and selected "TheTVDB", entered M*A*S*H in the provided window and clicked OK.
A number of options were presented, none of which matched the episode in the file.
In order to proceed, I selected one at random..."M*A*S*H 6x12 Comrades in Arms"
That is not the episode which is contained in the file (it is in fact the pilot for the first series of the show), but upon double clicking this new entry in the right pane, it turns red and I am presented with an "Episode Format" window which warns me that the "Formatted value is empty"! shock, horror!
Despite the name tag being incorrect, I do not have the first clue how to proceed!
The above referenced Video Tutorial which I tried to watch is totally unintelligible.
Can some one help me please? :shock:
rednoah
The Source

Re: New User can't understand the narative on the Video tut.

Post by rednoah »

Are your files reasonably well named? No idea, since you didn't add a screenshot/video:
http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1868

Assuming your files are badly named there's a video tutorial for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJca0ipOCAg

If you find the video unintelligible the first time around, just repeat until it becomes more intelligible.

PS: Double-Clicking the match opens the "Format Editor" which allows you to define how episodes/movies are named.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
six-h

Post by six-h »

Hi rednoah, thanks for your quick reply.
Just had a BSOD caused by Banking security software!!
OK, Are my files well named...here's a screen shot of what I have so far, and I have no idea what to do next!
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pictu ... PWL9AQW66w
"title00" is the MakeMKV assigned name for the file.
It is actually the Pilot episode of M*A*S*H and the title on the Disk is "M*A*S*H - The Pilot", (This is Disk 1 Season 1)
Having right clicked in the right hand window "New Names" I selected "TheTVDB" and the name assigned is highlighted in red.
This is not the right name, not sure if or how I should change that since none of the offered names are correct.
The "Episode Format" window which has appeared after I double clicked on the FileBot assigned "New Name", warns me that "Formatted value is empty"....? I have no idea what is required of me here.

I have watched the videos several times and still can not understand the audio.
It doesn't help that the cursor is being waved around all over the screen.
I do have a problem with my hearing, You might say I have reached an age where my ears also need glasses!
I'm sorry if this makes it difficult for you to help me, but it is something I'm stuck with! ;)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

"title00" doesn't make enough sense to guess that it's MASH 1x01 from that.... mash.01 might work, mash.1x01 will definitely work.

Since you have bad names you need to use manual matching as show in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJca0ipOCAg#t=40

Go to Episodes section -> Get Episode List for MASH -> Drag-n-Drop to Rename/New Names section

Don't worry about editing the "Episode Format", that's for advanced users and not required unless you wanna customize how files are named.
six-h

Post by six-h »

Ah! Thanks for explaining rednoah, it's early here and I'm on my iPad so when I boot my PC I'll try to follow your advice.
Sorry to have been a nuisance, I'll let you know if I'm successful! :D
six-h

Post by six-h »

OK rednoah, I have tried to follow your instructions and think I have succeeded...so far!
Remember, I have only loaded one file, MASH-The pilot to try and understand how the software is used!
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pictu ... tOoXXjRcz1

Progress!...but now how do I progress from this screen? :?

I had manually changed the original file format from ".mkv" to ".ts" hoping that my Serviio DLNA server would "See" the files...it can see either format!
Is there something that FileBot will do (from the captured screen) to make the file playable over my DLNA Server?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No, FileBot can only rename files to standard naming conventions so you HTPC can make sense of the filename. However if the file type is not supported by your HTPC then FileBot cannot help you.

I've no idea what you're doing... did you just enter "MASH - The Pilot" into the Episode Format??? That's completely wrong. Why would you need FileBot if you're manually entering names anyway???

First of all a good filename would be MASH - 1x01 - Pilot and the corresponding FileBot Episode Format would be {n} - {sxe} - {t}.

FileBot can only help you once you yourself understand what you need to do and why you need to do it, e.g. what file types are supported? How do files need to be named and why? Why does changing the extension not change the file type?
six-h

Post by six-h »

Hi rednoah, well first of all, I have no idea what I'm doing!
I have bought the set of 36 disks but having no player, I must watch on my 27" PC screen.
I was advised to rip the set to my HDD using "MakeMKV", then to use FileBot to presumably automatically name all 264 episodes across eleven seasons!

In answer to your question on the file name I entered, I had great difficulty finding where to achieve this...eventually I found the "Episodes" tab and was allowed to enter data there!
I entered "M*A*SH*", selecting "Season 1" from the dropdown box and the "Airdate" order.
The software then found all the titles for me.
FileBot can only help you once you yourself understand what you need to do and why you need to do it, e.g. what file types are supported? How do files need to be named and why? Why does changing the extension not change the file type?
These questions I'm afraid I don't understand. :oops:

Because I don't know waht I'm doing, I was under the impression that your software would make the files visible to my DLNA Server software - Serviio.
Just as a "Testdrive", so to speak, I tried ripping one DVD, (8 files) with MakeMKV, then tried processing just one file with your software.
I agree, it's more trouble than it's worth just to re-name one file, but if all went well, and I was sure of what I was doing, I would be re-naming much larger batches.
Whilst this is still likely, it will depend upon someone telling me how to "wrap" the files in order for Serviio to see them and make sense of the information in order to play them!

So, If you have any suggestions that would help me on my quest, I would be most grateful to benefit from your obvious experience!
Thanks for all your help and patience so far.