Orignal name in analyze view

Support for Windows users
Scentle5S

Orignal name in analyze view

Post by Scentle5S »

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to say that I just discovered FileBot and must say that it's a really good tool, good job to the team ! ;)

However I have a small interrogation : where does the "Original name" information come from in the "Analyze -> Attributes" view ? For instance, I used FileBot to rename files, and I still can see the previous name of each file in this view. Even though there doesn't seem to be any embedded data for this in the file itself. In addition to that, the renaming was performed on a different OS than the one the "Analyze" is being made on (i.e. : renaming on Ubuntu ; analyzing on Windows), so there can't be any "Rename history" in FileBot where the information could be found.

Bonus question (not related to FileBot) : is there any efficient way to remove movie properties (e.g. : title, producer...) from the files massively ? This may be linked to the previous question as some of these "original names" can be found in the "title" attribute, which I don't like : I want as few information as possible embedded in my movie files.

EDIT : Also where does the "Meta ID" come from ? I thought it was detected from the movie name with some database (TMB), then I realized that it still shows up even when no internet connection is available. That means that it has to be embedded in the file, right ? So how can I see/edit/remove all these meta data for my files ? I didn't manage to find any tool showing all of them (Explorer, VLC...).

Thanks in advance :D

Scentle5S
rednoah
The Source

Re: Orignal name in analyze view

Post by rednoah »

The Attributes tab displays FileBot xattr metadata. FileBot stores xattr metadata for all files you process, assuming xattr is supported by the filesystem. Note that xattr is not embedded in the file content, but stored in the filesystem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes

There is no reason the edit/remove filebot xattr because no tool other than filebot will read them, which is quite sad.

You can use the filebot xattr script to view and clear xattr:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5#p5394

FileBot does not modify files, so you won't be able to remove mp4/mkv container tags. Tools like mkvmerge should be able to strip tags. This question comes up a lot, but nobody ever reports back on their findings. You could be the first to write a tutorial. ;)

PS: I'm quite surprised xattr didn't get lost when copying files betweens OSes and filesystems. :D
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Scentle5S

Post by Scentle5S »

Thanks for your answer ! :D

Ok, I didn't know about those extended file attributes :roll:

The script should do the trick, but I get an exception when I try to run it :

Code: Select all

AccessDeniedException: <mymovie>:net.filebot.java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: <mymovie>:net.filebot.filename
        at net.filebot.MetaAttributeView.put(MetaAttributeView.java:82)
        at net.filebot.MetaAttributeView.clear(MetaAttributeView.java:134)
        at java_util_Map$clear$0.call(Unknown Source)
        at Script1$_run_closure2.doCall(Script1.groovy:22)
        at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:3)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.evaluate(ScriptShell.java:61)
        at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:82)
        at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.process(ArgumentProcessor.java:116)
        at net.filebot.Main.main(Main.java:169)
Failure (°_°)
Do you have an idea ? I'm admin and have every right on the files so I don't get it...

Regarding the tags, I was looking for a unique tool since I have mp4, mkv, avi, and would prefer not to have 1 tool for each of them... If there is no simple way to do it I think I'll leave it this way :(
PS: I'm quite surprised xattr didn't get lost when copying files betweens OSes and filesystems. :D
I didn't said that I copied the files, but that the OS running FileBot wasn't the same ;)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I don't know why it's not working. But I also don't care because I told you not to clear xattr. It's there for a reason.

There is no single tool or library that handles rewriting all container formats.
Scentle5S

Post by Scentle5S »

I don't know why it's not working. But I also don't care because I told you not to clear xattr. It's there for a reason.
No need to be harsh. Plus if you don't care, why give me the script...
There is no single tool or library that handles rewriting all container formats.
Ok.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Stripping metadata from the mkv/mp4 containers makes sense because of software likes VLC likes to display that instead of the filename, which can be annoying.

Removing xattr has no benefit to you, won't make any difference to other programs, but may cause unnecessary load on free services like TheTVDB / TheMovieDB. FileBot has many safeguards that make sure that load and abuse on this services is as minimal as possible.

The xattr script allows you to view xattr. That's why I gave you the link.

What is your reason for clearing xattr? There are a few very good reasons why you would want to clear xattr. I just don't think that any of them apply here.
Scentle5S

Post by Scentle5S »

I thought they could be read by other softwares like you said, since I've experienced bad naming behaviours in Plex for instance. Turned out it was metadata and not xattr, hence my question about clearing metadata for multiple files. I get it now and won't touch the xattr, peace :mrgreen:

But since you say that there are good reasons for cleaning them, I'm curious about those reasons :P
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yep, most people get confused about metadata, and this particular Plex / VLC issue does come up quite a bit. For VLC there is no solution. For Plex you just have to disable Local Media Assets.

Either way, clearing or not clearing filebot xattr has no effect on Plex / VLC and that's what I tried to make clear in my first post.

Reason 1: Testing (since xattr tagged files are treated differently from files that haven't been identified yet)

Reason 2: Crashes CrashPlan (gotta love the irony) :lol:
Scentle5S

Post by Scentle5S »

rednoah wrote:For Plex you just have to disable Local Media Assets.
Found that out a little bit too late :roll:
rednoah wrote:Either way, clearing or not clearing filebot xattr has no effect on Plex / VLC and that's what I tried to make clear in my first post.
Since I had not found the solution above at this time, I wanted to try clearing xattr anyway, had no other solution/idea yet...