How accurate is duplicate file detection for 'Music' files?

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
tedrogers61

How accurate is duplicate file detection for 'Music' files?

Post by tedrogers61 »

Hi rednoah,

I've been throwing around 300GB of MP3/MP4 music files at filebot-node, and it's performed very well on the whole so far.

I have set the following, on multiple iterations on the same data set:

INPUT TYPE: MUSIC
STRICT: DISABLED
ACTION: MOVE AND RENAME
ARTWORK: TRUE
CLEAN: FALSE
CONFLICT: KEEP BOTH AND INDEX NEW FILE

As a result of this, plus several variations, I typically have about 12GB of files (out of 300GB) which have not been matched / moved / renamed etc.

After some painstaking cross referencing, it appears that filebot has correctly identified some duplicate data (and as a result, has ignored and left the data in situ within the original input folder).

On other occasions it seems as though filebot has not processed 'unique' files at all, which leaves 'holes' in my music collection.

I reprocessed the folder with MusicBrainz Picard, and it subsequently picked up about another 11 albums, but I'm still left with approximately 10GB on data that filebot can't/won't process (dupes, lower quality dupes, ignoring for some indiscriminate reason??).

I've currently taken all the 'unprocessed files' and placed them within a single folder to see what filebot will do...but I'm not hopeful, given my previous other dry-runs and executions.

Can you advise at all rednoah?

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: How accurate is duplicate file detection for 'Music' fil

Post by rednoah »

Logs? (not all of them, just the parts the illustrate the problem)

If you're using the filebot node (i.e. the amc script) then music mode will exclusively rely on existing ID3 tags. Files that are not tagged will not be processed. AcoustID acoustic fingerprints are not used at all.

FileBot (GUI) and MusicBrainz Picard allow you to use acoustic fingerprints to identify files, so they'll be able to process files that are not tagged.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.