[docker] Possible to have AMC move files without reading/writing entire file?

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
Yousty

[docker] Possible to have AMC move files without reading/writing entire file?

Post by Yousty »

I'm using Filebot AMC on my Unraid server and it works absolutely perfectly! I download files from my seedbox to a temp folder and then have AMC rename and move the files to where they belong because I don't need the files in the temp directory after they're renamed/moved. However I've noticed using the move command requires reading and writing the entirety of the file, which seems odd to me since it's staying on the same physical disk. Usually it's not that big of a deal but a lot of times I'm downloading 60GB files and that's a lot of unneeded wear and tear on the disk, not to mention time consuming. Is there anyway to have AMC rename/move the file without the entire file having to be rewritten?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Possible to have AMC move files without reading/writing entire file?

Post by rednoah »

Yousty wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 03:48 Is there anyway to have AMC rename/move the file without the entire file having to be rewritten?
Yes, that's default behavior, because it's the operating system that decides how to perform a given move operation, and not filebot.

:idea: If two files are physically on the same file system, then changing the file path is instant. If two files are not physically on the same file system, then a move operation necessarily has to create a physical copy on the destination file system.

:idea: You can use the stat command to check if two files are on the same file system, and not just on the same physical disk, which may contain multiple independent file systems on physically separate partitions.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Yousty

Post by Yousty »

It turns out I had a docker container setting that needed to be changed and move now works as it should!

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/68916-s ... ent=847314
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yousty wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 17:43 It turns out I had a docker container setting that needed to be changed and move now works as it should!
Note that "docker" wasn't even mentioned in your OP. ;)

:idea: When using docker, you naturally need to make sure that input/output is on the same file system from the container point of view, not just from the host point of view.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.