How to install the CLI on macOS?

Support for macOS users
nomaed

How to install the CLI on macOS?

Post by nomaed »

This has been very helpful!

However, one should be careful with brew upgrade, especially in the script for lazies.

It will upgrade all installed brew packages on the system to their latest versions. If you installed specific versions of software and rely on them in your workspace, stuff may break if any new packages have breaking changes in their APIs, for example.
haidarbryan

Re: [macOS] brew cask install filebot

Post by haidarbryan »

Thanks guys. It was helpful
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

To be clear.

In the "if you're feeling lazy" section you are downloading only the command line tools?

And...

In the "If you feel like running each command yourself" section you are downloading not just the command tools but also the GUI application via brew cask?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

jprokos wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 01:20 In the "if you're feeling lazy" section you are downloading only the command line tools?
jprokos wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 01:20 In the "If you feel like running each command yourself" section you are downloading not just the command tools but also the GUI application via brew cask?
The instructions are identical and lead to identical results. Calling app.sh, or running each line of that script manually, either way the result is the same, either way, you will be installing the *.app.tar.xz package which is a standard full-featured FileBot app bundle for macOS.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Massaguana

Post by Massaguana »

hmm, i see this:

Error: It seems there is already an App at '/Applications/FileBot.app'.

I use you Desktop Filebot and wood like use your CLI too
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The GUI and the CLI are in the same package nowadays. Both brew cask and PKG installer will install both GUI and CLI.
Massaguana

Post by Massaguana »

okay, and what is the command to call filebot CLI? "filebot" returns: command not found
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Massaguana wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 16:41 okay, and what is the command to call filebot CLI? "filebot" returns: command not found
How did you install FileBot?

:idea: Please read How to Request Help.
Massaguana

Post by Massaguana »

I use the "AppStore" Version and have also buy an licence for an Ubuntu CLI Filebot
rednoah
The Source

Re: How to install the CLI on macOS?

Post by rednoah »

In that case, just remove the App Store edition and then use the classic PKG installer instead, since you already have a universal license anyway:
https://www.filebot.net/download.html
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

This seems as good a place as any to ask if you are the maintainer of the Homebrew filebot cask and if you could create a tap for beta versions of filebot.

Since I have installed via homebrew the stable version and when downloading a beta version and replacing the filebot app in /Applications I am guessing some symlinks aren't created properly? One being bash_completions but I am not sure what else if any.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I do maintain the official filebot cask for the latest stable release, but I don't plan on maintaining an official cask tap for the daily builds. You could try filebot-latest.rb directly though:

Code: Select all

brew cask install https://raw.githubusercontent.com/filebot/plugins/master/brew/filebot-latest.rb

:idea: On macOS, you can just use the PKG to install the latest revision easily. Make sure that you're not mixing PKG packages installed via macOS Installer and APP packages installed via brew cask. That way you'll end up with multiple editions of FileBot installed, which can be confusing. Best to uninstall all versions of FileBot you may have installed, and then only install the PKG.