Qbittorrent file renaming without moving files

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
skystormer

Qbittorrent file renaming without moving files

Post by skystormer »

Just wondering.
Is it possible for Filebot to rename files without copying the files to a different location?
(I want to rename files in Qbittorrent, allowing me to keep seeding those.)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Qbittorrent file renaming without moving files

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 03:42 If you are processing files within the the same file system, then you may prefer to use Hardlink so that you can have the same file twice at both the original file path and the Plex library file path. (NOTE: hardlinks require no time to create and require no additional disk space; if you can use hardlinks then you should use hardlinks)
:arrow: You'll want to hardlink files to a different file path, so that you can keep one file at the original file path to keep qBT happy, and a new file at the new file path to make you happy. Keep in mind that you can have the same file multiple times at different file paths without using any additional disk space.

Button
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
skystormer

Post by skystormer »

rednoah wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 08:00
rednoah wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 03:42 If you are processing files within the the same file system, then you may prefer to use Hardlink so that you can have the same file twice at both the original file path and the Plex library file path. (NOTE: hardlinks require no time to create and require no additional disk space; if you can use hardlinks then you should use hardlinks)
:arrow: You'll want to hardlink files to a different file path, so that you can keep one file at the original file path to keep qBT happy, and a new file at the new file path to make you happy. Keep in mind that you can have the same file multiple times at different file paths without using any additional disk space.

Button
Thanks for that option. Did not check it out yet. But looks like not something I can use.
As I Basically store them in my cloud storage. (for use with Plex) (and use filezilla to move em there)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Presumably, qBT is writing to / seeding from a local file system, and not cloud storage / remote FTP server? If you have a server "in the cloud" that is running qBT, then you might be able to just log into that server and then process files locally.
cagenuts

Post by cagenuts »

I use a script from github that I modified slightly and this allows you to rename or move a file to another location (locally to qBit). You have to copy the hash from within qBit, then shut it down, then rename or move the file, then run the script which prompts for the hash and new location and finally you need to start qBit and force a re-check. So FileBot can definitely do the renaming part.

The quicker way is just to rename a file directly within qBit but this essentially means manually renaming files as opposed to using FB.

This script works really well if you want to place a bunch of individually seeded episodes in a single folder (season/series). The script searches recursively which is perfect for placing an episode in the special or season00 folder as you just need to use the folder one-up (TV Show name) as the destination for the script.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I would use hardlinks. Based on the information above, I see no technical reason that prevents you from using hardlinks. qBT is running on a Linux machine, is working with local files, on a local Linux file system, so you can definitely create hardlinks, from that Linux machine at the very least, and thus remotely as well if remote file system client / server are both configured correctly.

:?: Perhaps screenshots will provide much needed context?

EDIT:

I ran a test with a Synology DS120J. I can confirm that FileBot running on Windows 11 can hardlink files on a remote SMB network share. I don't know if you're using SMB though.