Presets not saving (when using multiple FileBot instances in parallel)

Support for Windows users
dccfoux

Presets not saving (when using multiple FileBot instances in parallel)

Post by dccfoux »

I'm having an issue where my custom presets are being reset every time I start the application.

Steps to reproduce:
- Open FileBot
- Create custom preset
- Close FileBot
- Open FileBot
- Custom preset is gone

Example:
ScreenshotScreenshot

I'm using version 5.0.3.0 from the Microsoft Store.
I checked the logs, but there is nothing related to this issue.

Thanks in advance!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Presets not saving

Post by rednoah »

:?: Did you previously install and use the non-Store edition of FileBot by any chance?

:idea: The Microsoft Store APPX application sandbox will isolate each and every Store application, but will maybe try to use existing %APP_DATA% folders and registry entries, so things could go awry there.

:idea: You can try running filebot -clear-prefs to see if that makes a difference. Alternatively, deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs node via regedit can also help reset things completely.

UPDATE:

Newer versions of Microsoft Store edition will store your user settings to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot\settings.properties on close. If you open 2 FileBot instances open at same time (thank you for providing a screenshot that shows 2 FileBot windows open at the same time) then each will overwrite the settings.properties file on close, so the settings which are saved are the settings of whichever FileBot instance you close last, and each FileBot instance is only aware of settings at startup, and will not be aware of any settings you set in other FileBot instances that are running in parallel.

:arrow: The solution is to only use one FileBot instance at any given time.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
dccfoux

Re: Presets not saving

Post by dccfoux »

rednoah wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 04:10 :?: Did you previously install and use the non-Store edition of FileBot by any chance?

:idea: The Microsoft Store APPX application sandbox will isolate each and every Store application, but will maybe try to use existing %APP_DATA% folders and registry entries, so things could go awry there.

:idea: You can try running filebot -clear-prefs to see if that makes a difference. Alternatively, deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs node via regedit can also help reset things completely.

UPDATE:

Newer versions of Microsoft Store edition will store your user settings to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot\settings.properties on close. If you open 2 FileBot instances open at same time (thank you for providing a screenshot that shows 2 FileBot windows open at the same time) then each will overwrite the settings.properties file on close, so the settings which are saved are the settings of whichever FileBot instance you close last, and each FileBot instance is only aware of settings at startup, and will not be aware of any settings you set in other FileBot instances that are running in parallel.

:arrow: The solution is to only use one FileBot instance at any given time.
Thank you!

You are correct, the solution was just using one instance at a time although I swear the first time this happened I only had one open. Anyways, my presets are saving as expected now.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Presets not saving (when using multiple FileBot instances in parallel)

Post by rednoah »

FileBot r9893 and above will now try to merge settings from different FileBot instances that are running in parallel if necessary, instead of just overwriting the settings file on exit.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.