Error writing extended attribute 'net.filebot.mediainfo': No space left on device

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
Sammo

Error writing extended attribute 'net.filebot.mediainfo': No space left on device

Post by Sammo »

Hello,

Can you help me please.
I have this error :

Shell: Select all

Failed to write xattr key: net.filebot.mediainfo: /volume1/DL/NewDL/FILESNAMES.2020.mkv: Error writing extended attribute 'net.filebot.mediainfo': No space left on device
Input: /volume1/DL/NewDL/FILESNAMES.2020.mkv

Apps :
Filebot 5.1.1
Filebot node 0.4.5
Node.js i have two version on my Syno V12 and V18.
Synology : DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5

Thanks you for your help :)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Error "No space left on device Input: /volume/"

Post by rednoah »

It's just a warning. You can ignore it. It makes no difference. It just means that FileBot is trying to store information to xattr and that your file system has a fairly low xattr size limit, presumably ~4 kB on ext4 file systems.

:arrow: You can make the warning go away by configuring FileBot to store xattr values into plain/text files instead of native file system xattr values:

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.store=.xattr
:arrow: Please read Metadata and Extended Attributes for details.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Sammo

Re: Error writing extended attribute 'net.filebot.mediainfo': No space left on device

Post by Sammo »

Ok, thank you !
Mustang

Re: Error writing extended attribute 'net.filebot.mediainfo': No space left on device

Post by Mustang »

Once again @rednoah you have the answer I was looking for. This worked for me too. Is this located in the FAQ or similar help file?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, if you Google the error message and find this thread, then all is well. Metadata and Extended Attributes is the related manual page.

:idea: This issue is specific to Linux / ext4 where xattr size is limited to 4 kB. Windows / NTFS ADS and macOS / APFS xattr have no size limit, so won't run into this issue. On Linux / BTRFS the limit is 16 kB, so less likely to encounter this issue.

:idea: FileBot 5.1.2 notably uses xz compression for large xattr values on Linux which further ensures that things fit within the file system limits.

:idea: FileBot 5.1.2 also adds an additional system property that now allows you to disable mediainfo to xattr caching as a last resort:

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.cache=false

:idea: That said, storing xattr metadata to plain/text files doesn't just work around the xattr size limit but also makes xattr metadata accessible via SMB shares, easy to move and backup, easy to track and view manually, etc. That can become very useful later. See Optimizations for Remote File Systems for details:

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.xattr.store=.xattr
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.