How to have Filebot create appropriately name Season folders and move the files into those folders

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
ToxicAvenger

How to have Filebot create appropriately name Season folders and move the files into those folders

Post by ToxicAvenger »

I just started with Filebot yesterday afternoon after years of handling new content manually.

I've read that Filebot can create a new parent folder (In the Heat of the Night) and within it Season folders (Season 01, Season 02) and then move the video files into those season folders, but I am completely stumped on how to do that.

I'm also about the farthest thing from being a programmer, so that probably isn't helping.

I put together this format command to rename the files themselves, (which always have matching subtitles.) This matches my existing library and Plex is always happy it:

{n.space('.')}.{'S'+s.pad(2)}E{E.pad(2)}{if (f.subtitle) '.en'}

In.the.Heat.of.the.Night.S01E01.mp4
In.the.Heat.of.the.Night.S01E01.en.srt

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get Filebot to create properly named folders and move the appropriate files into them.

NOTE: I have new content come into my main computer where it is processed. Then, once the files are all set, I move them to my HTPC for Plex to add to the existing files there. That last step of manually copying the completed content to the HTPC is something that I want to continue doing myself.

I DO have a static folder where the new content first arrives, if that matters. I've put a hidden file in that folder so that there's no chance of Filebot deleting it. (per something I read)
"I think that the mistake a lot of us make is thinking that the state-appointed shrink is our friend."
rednoah
The Source

Re: How to have Filebot create appropriately name Season folders and move the files into those folders

Post by rednoah »

:arrow: You can just use {plex} or {plex.id} as format and that will give you the file paths you want. It's one of the predefined sample formats that you can just click & select. You probably don't need to write your own custom format.

:arrow: The How do I organize files for Plex? guide covers everything you need, just start by doing that, and maybe fine-tune things for your needs in an (optional) later step if you want things your way and not the standard way. You can probably stick to the standard way and leave it at that.

:arrow: Please watch the video tutorial and note what happens at 0:35 when we set {plex.id} as format and observe at 1:20 the generated series / season folder structure:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ToxicAvenger

Re: How to have Filebot create appropriately name Season folders and move the files into those folders

Post by ToxicAvenger »

Thanks... I've watched the video a couple times and have tried to get it working, but I'm not able to get it to do what I had hoped for. An automated process that I've always done manually...

- Have 4 Seasons of Dragnet

- Rename using {n.space('.')}.{'S'+s.pad(2)}E{E.pad(2)}{if (f.subtitle) '.en'} in order to get Dragnet.S01E01.mp4

- Create a parent folder called Dragnet

- Create Season folders called Season 01, Season 02, etc.

- Move each season of episodes into their Season 01,02,03,04 folders.

Heck, I'd pay a reasonable amount for someone to create a script to do this!
"I think that the mistake a lot of us make is thinking that the state-appointed shrink is our friend."
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: The video above does exactly what you want as described above. Where did you stumble? Can you point out where the video tutorial does not do what you are trying to do? (the video covers everything you need and more)

:?: What do you see when you watch 1:21 to 1:25? Does it not look like the thing you're trying to do? If not, how is what you're trying to do different? (as best as I can tell that's what you're trying to do)

ToxicAvenger wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 16:54 - Create a parent folder called Dragnet
1:21 shows that FileBot has automatically created series folders based on the {plex.id} format.
Screenshot
ToxicAvenger wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 16:54 - Create Season folders called Season 01, Season 02, etc.
1:23 shows that FileBot has automatically created season folders based on the {plex.id} format.
Screenshot
ToxicAvenger wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 16:54 - Move each season of episodes into their Season 01,02,03,04 folders.
1:25 shows that FileBot has automatically renamed files and moved them into the appropriate season folder according to the {plex.id} format.
Screenshot

:arrow: Just use {plex} as format and see for yourself:

Format: Select all

{plex}
Screenshot
ToxicAvenger

Post by ToxicAvenger »

Thanks for your help! I've been working on my switch from Plex to Emby Premiere. This one does exactly what I need it to; Emby clearly loves the result:

{n.space('.')}.{'S'+s.pad(2)}E{E.pad(2)}{if (f.subtitle) '.en'}{ " {tmdbid-$tmdbid}" }
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:!: Note that the format above only works for single-episodes but not multi-episodes. I recommend using the built-in {s00e00} binding. Alternatively, we also have a built-in {emby.id} binding.

:!: The bit that adds ".en" to all subtitles files (regardless of subtitle language) should probably be at the end, after the "{tmdbid-123}" bit.