No "{tmdb-id}" in filenames with the { plex.id } binding?

Any questions? Need some help?
nhoizey

No "{tmdb-id}" in filenames with the { plex.id } binding?

Post by nhoizey »

Hi, I'm using the amc script and defined my own "movieFormat" like this to get movie folders organized in alphabetical subfolders:

Code: Select all

Movies/{az}/{ ~plex.id }
It looks like "{ ~plex.id }" adds the TheMovieDB id to the movie folder, but not the movie file. For example I get this:

Movies/L/The Lego Batman Movie (2017) {tmdb-324849}/The Lego Batman Movie (2017).mkv
Based on Plex naming documentation, I thought it would add "{tmdb-324849}" also to the file name, like this:

Movies/L/The Lego Batman Movie (2017) {tmdb-324849}/The Lego Batman Movie (2017) {tmdb-324849}.mkv
Here's the example from Plex docs:

/Movies
   /Batman Begins (2005) {tmdb-272}
      Batman Begins (2005) {tmdb-272}.mp4
I couldn't find in Plex if it reads the id from the folder anyway, or if it would be better with the id in the filename.

Anyway, maybe this nuance should be mentioned in "{ ~plex.id }" docs.
rednoah
The Source

Re: No "{tmdb-id}" in filenames with the { plex.id } binding?

Post by rednoah »

nhoizey wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 19:19 Here's the example from Plex docs:

/Movies
   /Batman Begins (2005) {tmdb-272}
      Batman Begins (2005) {tmdb-272}.mp4
:idea: You can add {tmdb-272} to either the folder name or the file name. Either will work. Adding {tmdb-272} to the folder name is preferable since it will apply to all files in the movie folder and notably guarantees a unique folder name for each movie.

rednoah wrote: 12 Sep 2016, 10:03 The {plex.id} binding additionally appends the numeric ID to the movie / series folder name to guarantee and speedup movie / series detection:

Format: Select all

{ plex.id }

TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Season 01/Alias - S01E01 - Truth Be Told
Movies/Avatar (2009) {tmdb-19995}/Avatar (2009)

:idea: You can of course add {tmdb-272} to both the folder name and the file name by adapting the following example if that is what you prefer, though it adds nothing for Plex in particular:
rednoah wrote: 12 Sep 2016, 10:03 e.g. Avatar (2009) [M19995]/Avatar (2009) [M19995]

Format: Select all

{ ~plex ** " [M$id]" }

:!: Note that you cannot have A-Z folders in the library root. If you use A-Z folders, then you must individually add each folder A, B, C, etc as root folder to your Plex Movies library. You notably cannot use your "Movies" folder (which then incorrectly contains folders A to Z) as root folder.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
nhoizey

Post by nhoizey »

You can add {tmdb-272} to either the folder name or the file name. Either will work.
Good to know, thanks. I guess this should be mentioned in their docs.
Note that you cannot have A-Z folders in the library root. If you use A-Z folders, then you must individually add each folder A, B, C, etc as root folder to your Plex Movies library. You notably cannot use your "Movies" folder (which then incorrectly contains folders A to Z) as root folder.
Movies stored this way do show up in my Plex correctly. Is there any documentation stating that this should not work? 🤔
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

nhoizey wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 09:46 Movies stored this way do show up in my Plex correctly. Is there any documentation stating that this should not work? 🤔
Well, the naming scheme documentation tells you what you can do. There is of course no exhaustive list of things that you cannot do. Can't have A-Z folders. Can't have genre folders. Can't have decade folders. Can't have audio language folders. Can't have video quality folders. Etc.

So for the sake of simplicity, if it's not explicitly "can do", then it's implicitly "cannot do", even though it might actually work on a case by case basis. Plex can work with "incorrectly" organized files to some degree. Best to run your own tests if you prefer out-of-spec folder structure. It might work. It might not. If it works, then you got lucky. If it does not work, then that'd be somewhat expected.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
nhoizey

Post by nhoizey »

Best to run your own tests if you prefer out-of-spec folder structure. It might work. It might not.
Ok.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain this! 🙏