Operation Not Permitted when renaming (moving) files

Support for macOS users
kaku

Operation Not Permitted when renaming (moving) files

Post by kaku »

Greetings,

I am on a Mac trying to rename files stored on a Synology NAS.

The error I'm getting is "Operating Not Permitted".

I tried fussing with advanced permissions on the Synology but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Operation Not Permitted when renaming (moving) files

Post by rednoah »

:?: Have you tried creating a new share in Synology DSM with pristine permissions? Can you rename files manually via Finder?

:?: Have you tried connecting to the share as a different user? Are you using a SMB share or an AFP share? If one protocol doesn't work, try the other.

:?: What does the complete error message say? Literally just "Operating Not Permitted" and nothing else? You can copy & paste error messages from the log.

:?: What is the source / target file path that doesn't work? Can you share file paths as text?

:arrow: At a glance, no idea. Looks like a generic issue. A generic Google search might give you a few things you could try. Screenshots may (or may not) give us additional clues. Please read How to Request Help for details.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kaku

Post by kaku »

rednoah wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 05:16 :?: Have you tried creating a new share in Synology DSM with pristine permissions? Can you rename files manually via Finder?

I just created one called "pristine" and can rename files via Finder.

:?: Have you tried connecting to the share as a different user? Are you using a SMB share or an AFP share? If one protocol doesn't work, try the other.

I've tried both protocols and another user.

:?: What does the complete error message say? Literally just "Operating Not Permitted" and nothing else? You can copy & paste error messages from the log.

Where is the log? The error I get is "MOVE: /Volumes/pristine-1/Inside The Factory/Inside The Factory/Complete/Season 1/Inside.The.Factory.How.Our.Favourite.Foods.Are.Made.3of3.Milk.mp4 -> /Volumes/pristine-1/Inside The Factory/Inside The Factory/Complete/Season 1/Inside the Factory - 1x03 - Milk.mp4: Operation not permitted"

:?: What is the source / target file path that doesn't work? Can you share file paths as text?

See last answer. Sorry, not sure what else you're asking for here.

:arrow: At a glance, no idea. Looks like a generic issue. A generic Google search might give you a few things you could try. Screenshots may (or may not) give us additional clues. Please read How to Request Help for details.

Okay, the screenshot would have the same verbiage as my previous answer with the error.
I appreciate your help here!

UPDATE: I should mention it partially worked, 2 files were renamed but then I got the same above error on a 3rd file.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

kaku wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 15:14 UPDATE: I should mention it partially worked, 2 files were renamed but then I got the same above error on a 3rd file.
What happens if you try the first 2 files again? Does the network share randomly temporarily not work? Does the move operation just not work for specific files only?
kaku

Post by kaku »

Interesting, I renamed the files that were renamed and tried again, and this time it did not work.
kaku

Post by kaku »

I should also mention I am able to rename files from a windows vm without issue.
Paul68kdmd

Post by Paul68kdmd »

I have the same issue with the OP with my Synology.

Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot

I'm running the Non-MAS FileBot on MacOS 14.4, and I CAN rename files on mount volumes (Synology) via MacOS Finder.

I have NOT done the FileBot 'folder trick', as I did not get any messages in FileBot 5.1.3.

The app works for local files.

Thanks,

Paul.

ps. Possibly related to this post? viewtopic.php?t=13986
Last edited by Paul68kdmd on 18 Mar 2024, 12:26, edited 3 times in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:!: What does ls -l / say?

Shell: Select all

ls -l /

:idea: I'm asking because you are showing a macOS screenshot, but the target file paths look as if they're local Linux / Synology NAS file paths? macOS will certainly not let you create a new folder named volume2 in the / root file system and that's what the error message says. On macOS, network drives are typically mapped into the local file system at /Volumes/<share name>.

:arrow: You'll want to use the Icon button in the Format Editor if you need help typing the file path for some folder, or just use {drive} if you want to keep things relative to the current network share / file system mount point:
rednoah wrote: 16 Nov 2011, 16:46 If you are organizing files for Plex then the {plex.id} binding will give you the path you want:

Format: Select all

{ drive }/Media/{ plex.id }
:idea: {drive} refers to the file system root for the file at hand. If you want to organize files into a specific folder, please modify your naming scheme accordingly, e.g. X:/{plex.id} on Windows or /Volumes/Media/{plex.id} on macOS or ~/Media/{plex.id} on Linux.
Paul68kdmd

Post by Paul68kdmd »

Thanks for the reply, Red.

Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot

I think when I ran for the first time after changing the network folder path using the folder icon it created a folder (as I requested), but no actual file was hardlinked.

And the new error message seems different from the previous, now.

Thanks!
Paul68kdmd

Post by Paul68kdmd »

Could this be the reason for the error?

Screenshot

The original files are located in .../_Remux/_test

edit: oops, nevermind. They're both 'media' folders. hmm
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:!: ls -l prints the files and folders in the current directory. ls -l / prints the files and folders in the / root directory. Note the difference. I asked to confirm if there is a /volume2 directory on your macOS machine. The screenshot you posted shows the files and folders in your $HOME directory which we don't really care about. In any case, /volume2 is just not a valid target path on macOS, so that problem is solved.

:!: Your new problem (completely unrelated to the previous problem) is now the creation of hardlinks on the remote server via a network share. Assuming that hardlinks are physically possible on the server-side (i.e. same file system) then we can probably conclude that you just can't create hardlinks remotely. AFAIK, macOS does not support hardlinks on SMB shares in general.

EDIT:

:idea: I ran tests with macOS and Synology NAS. The macOS SMB implementation does not support the SMB UNIX extensions and so hardlink operations cannot work. Oddly enough, Windows does actually implement the SMB UNIX extensions and so creating hardlinks remotely does work from Windows.

:arrow: If you can just use move / copy operations, then you can just use that. If you must have hardlinks, and if your Synology NAS supports docker, then running FileBot on-device might also be feasible.
Paul68kdmd

Post by Paul68kdmd »

I see. Thank you, for the explanation.

I’ll try Docker filebot-watcher.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I'd start with the docker-xpra container, i.e. run the FileBot Desktop application on your NAS.

Screenshot