Can you choose which Genre to use that filebot fetches?

Any questions? Need some help?
coreys

Can you choose which Genre to use that filebot fetches?

Post by coreys »

So I've been using filebot for 5 years and just stuck to the typical movie name and year format but my folder of movies is now over 3,000 plus and the organization is starting to get out of control. After doing some googling, I found a script that will allow me to use filebot to sort the folder in other genre folders. I even got them to move the movies to the genre folders that filebot sets up without creating subfolder within the folder.

However Im running into a major issue with the genres that filebot is fetching. I realize this is on the agency side but I'm wondering if there is a way that filebot can let me choose which genre to use when it fetches this information?

For example

A movie like Leprechaun is being matched as a comedy instead of a horror and putting it in the wrong folder from what I want. The agency also uses horror but doesn't give me the option to override the first first genre.

Is this not possible? Am I going to have to go through all the folders and move them to the desired folder?

I am a noob so any help with formatting would help. Thanks in advance
rednoah
The Source

Re: Can you choose which Genre to use that filebot fetches?

Post by rednoah »

It's certainly possible, but you'll end up with a lot of rules if you force the genre movie by movie. Having "priority genres" might be a good-enough solution.

:idea: You can use {genres} to get the list of all genres. {genre} will simply give you the first one.

:arrow: You can write custom code to pick the "correct" genre from {genres} assuming that you can express what you want in code, i.e. clearly defined rules:
rednoah wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 06:44 e.g.

Format: Select all

{
	def genreOrder = ['Animation': 1, 'Comedy': 2, 'Horror': 3, 'Science-Fiction': 4, 'Adventure': 5, 'Romance': 6, 'Drama': 7, 'Action': 8].withDefault{ 100 }
	genres.toSorted{ genreOrder[it] }
}
Screenshot
:arrow: viewtopic.php?p=46003#p46003

EDIT:

Note that Leprechaun {tmdb-11811} lists Horror as first genre and {genres} lists the genres in database order:

Code: Select all

[Horror, Comedy, Fantasy]
:!: If you have manually re-ordered the genres very recently to match your preferences, then FileBot will not immediately reflect those changes due to client-side caching. FileBot may cache movie details for a few weeks, especially for older movies.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
coreys

Post by coreys »

Appreciate it, thank you. Yea I recently just dumped every movie into the filebot app and let it select the genre for the movie and it automatically sorted them into whatever folder it assigned. It was hit or miss. I realize that Leprechaun for example is a comedy but I would prefer it in the horror genre so there was a lot of little examples like that that I felt like the order of the genre wasn't correct. Odd that it has horror listed first but the script threw the movie into the comedy folder.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The value of {genre} and {genres} may change over time as people edit the database to order the list of genres to match their expectations.

:idea: Here's what the database says at this point in time:

Console Output: Select all

$ filebot -list --q 11811 --db TheMovieDB --format "{genre}/{ny}"
Horror/Leprechaun (1993)

If you have other movies where {genre} doesn't work as expected, then we can look into that.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.