Renaming reverts back after reboot

Support for Windows users
tmax57

Renaming reverts back after reboot

Post by tmax57 »

I renamed my files using the latest version of FileBot and a customized preset script,

Format: Select all

{n} ({y}) {genres} - {actors.take(3).join(',')} {vf}
The Datasource: TheMovieDB, Language: English, Rename Action: Rename, Episode Order: none, Match Mode: Opportunistic and Keyboard Shortcut: none.

I spent several hours renaming quite a few files. After I rebooted, everything reverted back to the original names. I tried it again, using a smaller sample, and the same thing happened.

Currently I am not very happy, however, I did note in other forum entries as I tried to find a solution that there is some type of way you can revert names back and I assume this is what must be happening although I have been unable to figure out why or how to stop it!

Please help and if there is some logically assembled guide which can help me I would appreciate it. I am autistic and I do much better with a good written explanation than with videos (videos can help understand after I read about it but I am more prone to misunderstand videos than text). Also if there is a better way to search the forums, I would appreciate :cry: knowing how. I rarely use forums for obvious reasons but it looks like I may have to with FileBot judging from my first use of it. Thank you!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Renaming reverts back after reboot

Post by rednoah »

If you rename files then they stay that way. Doesn't matter if you're doing it with FileBot or with something else. There's no way to "temporary" move / rename a file which is then undone on reboot.

Here's how Revert files via the internal History works. You can use that to manually un-rename files. Keep in mind that FileBot fundamentally cannot un-rename files if FileBot is not running, as in after reboot.

There's probably more to the story. If your file system gets reverted on reboot, then there's a reason for that. It's not FileBot though.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.