Can FileBot Add Metadata To Files?

Any questions? Need some help?
cbeppe

Can FileBot Add Metadata To Files?

Post by cbeppe »

Hi,

I just downloaded FileBot and so far it's been just amazing. One functionality that I would love to have, but which I haven't found in the program or on the forum yet, is the ability to add metadata to each file. FileBot already fetches the TV Show title, episode name and number, etc. and it would be very useful for sorting purposes if it could add this information to the file's metadata.

Is this functionality available yet?

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Can FileBot Add Metadata To Files?

Post by rednoah »

:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
cbeppe

Post by cbeppe »

Thanks for that!

It seems like it's a built in feature that is not in the portable version that I downloaded initially.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to specify what kind of metadata to add. Am I missing something? For TV shows, it adds the episode number and year to mp4 files, but not the episode title. Can I configure it to add these additional fields?

Again, thanks for your help and especially the quick response :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You're talking apples and bananas.

FileBot writes ALL metadata to xattr (and why wouldn't it?) as json object. How files are named is in the format, thus up to what you define. But FileBot will not touch the file content, no tags of any kind are written into the file, just xattr.

Although it would be very easy to read those meta attributes, probably no software other than filebot will use them (unless they implement support for that).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
cbeppe

Post by cbeppe »

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. Ideally, in my case, FileBot would have written those meta attributes to the file itself. I should have been more clear in the OP.

This rather specific need comes from having to work with iTunes. I either have to have the program write the data to the file itself, or I have to manually insert it into iTunes.

Either way, thanks for your help! I still think FileBot is an amazing utility and you seem to be fully in charge of the script section here, so keep up the good work ;)