FileBot Pro/VIP Edition? (i.e. a Paid Version)

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
Ithiel
Power² User

FileBot Pro/VIP Edition? (i.e. a Paid Version)

Post by Ithiel »

Hi guys,

Over in this thread (http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic ... 6928#p6928), in a somewhat off-topic moment, I proposed the idea of a paid version of FileBot, but figured it probably warranted its own discussion.

My thoughts: Splitting FileBot into two editions - Free & VIP.

FileBot Free: Same core features, advertisement supported (either stuff during the install, or a small advert window like in the new version of uTorrent).
FileBot VIP: Paid version, advertisement free, forum badge, priority support, <something extra, like access to beta versions, &/or an 'Episode Format Builder' tool or something>, and maybe access to a VIP lounge on the forum where future plans & features can be discussed or voted on.

VIP version could either be an annual thing (say $4.99 / Year) or an once-off thing (say $20 upfront). The annual model would be useful in the sense that it helps support ongoing development and has a lower barrier to entry. Once-off payment has the advantage of being 'buy and forget', but when your target audience consists of people renaming a whole bunch of "don't ask where I got all these files from" media... I'm not saying that there's a higher than average number of people who'd try bypassing the whole "paying money" thing, but... well... Frog and the Scorpion :-P

I think that by bringing in a monetization model that's both respectful to the community and to Red as the developer, it'll be better for everyone: he get a fair kickback for all the hard work, and we get a better product (where the dev can afford to spend more time adding cool stuff to it).

What's everyone else's thoughts on this? Is this the sort of thing people would be interested in, or am I way off the mark here?

Disclaimer: I'm not associated/affiliated with FileBot in any way (other than the fact that I use it a lot), and yes - I've donated :-)
There can be only one Power² User
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot Pro/VIP Edition? (i.e. a Paid Version)

Post by rednoah »

Here's two ideas that I've got in the back of my head:
1. Mac AppStore version of FileBot to avoid sandbox issues, easy install, auto-update, etc (free or very cheap)
2. New app for Mac AppStore based on FileBot core but with a complete UI rewrite (i.e. JavaFX) and support for "pro features" that are only available as scripts now, i.e. AMC, artwork, nfo, etc (same prices as other OS projects like CyberDuck)
3. Official Synology APP for easy install and integration with the Synology WebUI to have some simpleGUI to run scripts, common operations, etc

Things that I definitely won't do:
* put advertising into the core app (installer is fine since it's completely separate from my code)
* subscription model just tricks people into paying the higher once-off price, so I'd only do a simple product-for-money scheme

Also from Google Ads, OpenCandy, Ubuntu Software Center and Donations, most of the time it's the Donations that accounts for the most, and that I personally feel best about since it's the users choice.

So if my users increase 100x then I should make 100x more in donations and could make this (and new projects) my full-time job. That would be cool! So I guess the thing to do is the thing I always have sorta been lacking, do more marketing! :D

I think there's easily potential for 1 million users, most people just don't know FileBot and how it can help them.

PS: people that donate some 2-digit amount get all future stuff for free (if possible anyway, since no idea if AppStore just lets me generated vouchers :P)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Ithiel
Power² User

Post by Ithiel »

Wait... did you say a Synology NAS App with a Web UI sorting my files directly on my wonderful little magic box of files?!?!

Then all I'd need to do is work out how to have it scan a particular 'all my shows get extracted here once they've downloaded' directory for new additions and auto rename/move them accordingly :-P

As far as 'store' based distribution models go though, there's the Windows 8 store, but I get the feeling that'd be more trouble than it's worth (particularly considering how it .. well... everything), but you could also try Steam's GreenLight Project?

There's a number of apps going through on Steam these days, it has an IT savvy audience, and if you could get enough people to vote for it, you'd be on steam - and that gives you a way to cover PC, Mac & Linux.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Windows 8 Store is not an option since they don't allow "traditional" Desktop applications, then they don't allow Java, or native. Steam is an option though, but Steam users are pretty limited I think, and I don't think it working other than for Games. I'll look into that.
Ithiel
Power² User

Post by Ithiel »

Steam Software: http://store.steampowered.com/software/?snr=1_4_4__12

Example of totally un-gaming related software: http://store.steampowered.com/app/227320/
^ that one was also selected through Steam Greenlight

Edit: Oh, and you also left out "because the Windows 8 store is f*$king terrible" in your list as well lol :-P
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Steam looks good. If I ever do a Pro version it's good to know there's ways to sell it on Windows as well. Also I like Valve. :D
Ithiel
Power² User

Post by Ithiel »

With the number of issues that the installer-bundled ad packages can cause (and the bad feedback this can also cause), now that there is a number of more 'reputable' players on the field, it may be time to reconsider the in-app advert idea. Before freaking out... hear me out for a sec :-)

One idea I had was:
Have a small advert window in the GUI. Then, add in a login option that checks against their forum login (it could also generates a txt file in the filebot directory with their details hashed or whatever as a cache). The breakdown would then be as follows:

- Not logged in users (i.e. those without a forum account): advert window shows an advert (from a reputable ad group, so its not some seizure hazard spammy crap).
- Logged in user (who is not a donor, power user, or mod): advert window shows a 'donate' button.
- Logged in user (who is a donor, power user, or mod): advert window disappears (and they don't get the 'donate' message on close)

This basically takes a page out of the OpenSubtitles.org playbook: Guests, free members, and paid members.

The advantages of this model are:
1. No bundled toolbars or whatever other nonsense
2. Cross platform compatible
3. Decreases installer errors (caused by problems with bundled muguffins)
4. Still uses a 'donation' model (doesn't set fixed sale price etc)
5. Encourages forum participation
6. Gives a reward path for community members who go the extra mile

Of course, while you're in the process of making interface changes this comment also highlights an issue that drives me bananas as well, so I've incorporated what changing that could look like as well ^.^

Some Links:
bonelifer
Power User

Post by bonelifer »

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but it shouldn't allow animated ads. Else people would probably be extremely put off. If they install Filebot and then see annoying animated ads, many would likely head to uninstall it immediately.
Ithiel
Power² User

Post by Ithiel »

yup, I totally agree. animated/flashing ads are evil. A subtle animation (slight change of text or whatever) isn't too bad, but those 'OMG 1,000,000,000TH VIEW YOU'VE WON A FREE BANANA!' seizure inducing hell boxes are totally uncool. That's why it's essential to get linked into the right advertising network that allows you to be very particular.

The size I used on this example (292x60) is one of the sizes on offer from Microsoft's new "Ads In Apps" program.. Only thing is tho that I'm not sure if that program is for desktop apps (let alone cross platform apps) or just Windows 8 metro app nonsense.

If there's a way to use Google's admob for text only ads within the jar, that might have some serious potential.

Also, the adverts panel (bottom middle) would only show for people who haven't authenticated with the forums. Once authenticated, you'll just get the donate panel (bottom right), and Donate/Power/Other Special Users wouldn't see either window. This method also drives traffic to the forums, which are ad supported, and encourages forum participation and (users supporting users), which also helps to reduce the forum workload as well.

Finally, by no longer having that stuff bundled into the setup, it will allow for a larger install base, and as the ads will be cross platform, it should create a wider revenue-audience than the 'only windows users who used the main setup file and who said yes to the toolbars'.

For people who buy the app off the ubuntu store or whatnot, a similar authentication method (but checking ubuntu store instead of forums) could also be used to make sure that there isn't an issue whereby the 'ad free' jar from the ubuntu install isn't 'pirated' across the other platforms (please try not to choke on the irony of that last statement haha).

On a side note, the suggested interface tweaks also removes a lot of wasted space (no point having a heading telling me I'm on the rename tab when there's a giant glowing box on the left saying that already), allows for better sorting (adjustable column headings), and auto update functionality.

--------------

There are a few different ways the auto update could work, but I guess the ideal would be that pressing it brings up a prompt saying either "No updates available [OK]" or "New update Available. Download now? [Yes] [No]", and it would download the jar and swap it out. I assume this can either be done by calling a separate updater file (either bundled with the initial install or downloaded from a URL on github or whatever each time so it's always the newest) that closes filebot, renames the current jar to old, the new jar to FileBot.jar, relaunches FileBot and then deletes the temp script... or something).

Actually.. thinking about that... a really simple fix for this would be a simple 'if OS = xyz, call blah script from github' check, and we could just have a few slightly tweaked versions of the current jar updaters (like the one I made but updating in relative path, and then different ones for *nix and OSX). If you need to tweak the installer, it's right there on GitHub, and would allow everyone to quickly update their jars at the press of a button from right within FileBot itself.

Thoughts?