Filebot with Network Shares on Windows

Any questions? Need some help?
xoxojackie

Filebot with Network Shares on Windows

Post by xoxojackie »

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use Filebot with my samba network shares.

I like to use the GUI on Windows to rename and move, as I am incredibly OCD about my files and want to make sure everything is just right before committing to the rename, instead of using an automated script. I'm working with two network shares, both on the same Ubuntu computer: The location files were downloaded to on the hard drive ("Downloads") and their final location on an external drive ("Movies").

I have both the shares mounted as drives on Windows, and the "Downloads" share has a symlink to the "Movies" share.

My problem is this: When I direct Filebot to move from one mounted share to the other, I only get my crappy network move speeds (1-2Mbps) instead of the USB 3.0 speeds I should be getting, meaning it's transferring over the network instead of just using the second computer. So I made a symlink to "Movies" in "Downloads," and tried to make Filebot move files into the symlink on the same mount, but it consistently hung on "Calculating" and didn't move anything. I even tried loading the files from an unmounted network share and transferring them to the other unmounted network share ("//Comp/Share/Downloads" > "//Comp/Share/Movies"), and that still just got me network speeds.

So my question is, is there any way to do this effectively, without Filebot (and, the more I think about it, it's probably Windows' fault) using the network? Or do I need to stick with scripts or Remote Desktop-ing into the Ubuntu computer to use the GUI?

Thanks for any advice.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot with Network Shares on Windows

Post by rednoah »

I'm not even sure if SMB supports link/symlinks. Also Windows would work with network paths on different drives so symlinks on the unix side won't make sense to Windows. Windows can't even know it's on the same physical drive, or same machine or whatever, so it's gonna treat things as Drive A to Drive B. Also FileBot uses the Windows Shell Move/Copy API so the speed you get is the best Windows can do, for whatever reason.

The best option is obviously to do this locally on the Ubuntu machine via Remote Desktop for GUI or SSH for CLI. Via SMB you definitely can't create HARDLINKs so especially if you have a big drive this is definitely what you wanna do.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.