imdbid not showing for TV shows

Support for Windows users
Semyonov

imdbid not showing for TV shows

Post by Semyonov »

My expression for my movies works perfectly and imdbid displays the "tt" number.

Code: Select all

E:/Semyonov/Videos/Movies/{ny.colon('ː ') replace('?', '﹖') replace('*', '﹡') replace('>', '﹥') replace('<', '﹤')} {'{imdb-' + {imdbid} + '}'} [Ratingː {rating}] [{info.certification}]/{ny.colon('ː ') replace('?', '﹖') replace('*', '﹡') replace('>', '﹥') replace('<', '﹤')} [{vf}-{any{fn.match(/1080p|720p|480p|360p/)}{vf}.replace('2160p' : 'UHD','1080p' : 'FHD', '720p' : 'HD', '480p' : 'SD', '360p' : 'SD')}]{subt}
becomes:

E:/Semyonov/Videos/Movies/Avatar (2009) {imdb-tt0499549} [Ratingː 7.6] [PG-13]/Avatar (2009) [2160p-UHD]

However, when trying to set the same thing for tv shows, such as:

H:/Semyonov/My Videos/TV Shows/{ny.colon('ː ')} {'{imdb-' + {imdbid} + '}'}/{'Season '+s00}/{'S'+s00+'E'+e00.pad(2)} [{airdate}] - {t.colon('ː ') replace('?', '﹖') replace('*', '﹡') replace('>', '﹥') replace('<', '﹤')}{subt}
it becomes:

H:/Semyonov/My Videos/TV Shows/Firefly (2002) {imdb-}/Season 01/S01E01 [2002-12-20] - Serenity

Anything I'm missing in my expression? I know imdb has this ID number for TV shows but for whatever reason it's not pulling it. Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: imdbid not showing for TV shows

Post by rednoah »

{imdbid} is indeed always undefined for TheTVDB and TheMovieDB/TV series / episode information.

:arrow: I recommend using TheMovieDB for both movies and episodes and {plex.id} as format, to get file paths with {tmdb-2046} markers:

TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Season 01/Alias - S01E01 - Truth Be Told
Movies/Avatar (2009) {tmdb-19995}/Avatar (2009)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Semyonov

Post by Semyonov »

rednoah wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 10:47 {imdbid} is indeed always undefined for TheTVDB and TheMovieDB/TV series / episode information.

:arrow: I recommend using TheMovieDB for both movies and episodes and {plex.id} as format, to get file paths with {tmdb-2046} markers:

TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Season 01/Alias - S01E01 - Truth Be Told
Movies/Avatar (2009) {tmdb-19995}/Avatar (2009)
Thank you. I was utilizing the imdbid because it makes movies very easy to look up on rarbg using that number, and couldn't understand why it wouldn't also return the number for TV shows.

Any particular reason you recommend TheMovieDB vs TheTVDB marker? Does plex recognize it better?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

TheMovieDB is used by everyone, FileBot, Plex, and friends, because it allows access to their data via an API. IMDB notably does not (legally; see TOS) allow 3rd party access and does not have an API and is thus generally not used by anyone, except end users that search for a movie via Google for historic reasons.

This also means that the IMDB ID is useless by itself because we can't lookup data from IMDB. If you use IMDB IDs then FileBot, Plex, and friends, may use that, but only to lookup the TheMovieDB ID, which can then be used to lookup movie / series details information from TheMovieDB. Please read the How do I organize files for Plex? guide for details.

:idea: Notably, {imdbid} is supported for TheTVDBv2 and TVmaze because those APIs include the IMDB in the series information. TheTVDBv4 and TheMovieDB notably do not. You could make it work by doing additional API requests and request external IDs for the given TheTVDB / TheMovieDB ID and then see if an IMDB ID has been added, which you can already do via database-specific custom format code.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Semyonov

Post by Semyonov »

rednoah wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 03:17 TheMovieDB is used by everyone, FileBot, Plex, and friends, because it allows access to their data via an API. IMDB notably does not (legally; see TOS) allow 3rd party access and does not have an API and is thus generally not used by anyone, except end users that search for a movie via Google for historic reasons.

This also means that the IMDB ID is useless by itself because we can't lookup data from IMDB. If you use IMDB IDs then FileBot, Plex, and friends, may use that, but only to lookup the TheMovieDB ID, which can then be used to lookup movie / series details information from TheMovieDB. Please read the How do I organize files for Plex? guide for details.

:idea: Notably, {imdbid} is supported for TheTVDBv2 and TVmaze because those APIs include the IMDB in the series information. TheTVDBv4 and TheMovieDB notably do not. You could make it work by doing additional API requests and request external IDs for the given TheTVDB / TheMovieDB ID and then see if an IMDB ID has been added, which you can already do via database-specific custom format code.
Thank you, that makes sense. I should have figured it was an API problem.

Using your

{ series.externalIds.imdb_id }
does work perfectly when using tmdb/TB!

Thank you so much for your help, your software is amazing and so is your support!

EDIT:

FileBot r9720 makes {imdbid} work for TheMovieDB and TheTVDBv4 via additional API lookups.