Dark Theme Difficult to Read Selection Before Matching

Support for Ubuntu and other Desktop Linux distributions
bassmadrigal

Dark Theme Difficult to Read Selection Before Matching

Post by bassmadrigal »

I am running FileBot 5.0.3 on Slackware Linux under KDE Plasma 5.

When I load some videos in FileBot, but before matching, the highlighted area is light gray with white text. This makes it very difficult to read. (Once matched, the gray bar changes to blue and everything is easily readable.)

I tried playing with the Plasma themes, and none seemed to make a difference. I also tried with both Darcula and FlatDark themes and both showed the same coloring. Is this something on my end or is there a way I can adjust this without moving to a light theme?

Thanks for your work!

rednoah
The Source

Re: Dark Theme Difficult to Read Selection Before Matching

Post by rednoah »

No idea. Looks like it's somehow inheriting some grey text color. If it's a common issue in different LaF implementations, then you could look into general Java Swing issues / configuration on Linux.

:idea: I'm getting white text on macOS:
Screenshot

:arrow: You could try switching to the GTK LaF implementation:
rednoah wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 12:58 System (Default)
The default System Look-and-Feel mimics the underlying Desktop platform and looks different on Windows, macOS and Linux.

Shell: Select all

filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.theme=System

EDIT:

The issue seems to be the text focus color, rather than the text color. Grey text is normal in Dark theme, but selected items will switch to white text, when in focus / selected. But that seems to be not happening in your environment.

Screenshot

:?: What are your system font color settings? What text colors does Dolphin use?

EDIT 2:

FileBot r9827 may fix the issue.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
bassmadrigal

Post by bassmadrigal »

Sorry for the massive delay. I haven't used filebot for a few weeks and I guess I didn't have the email replies enabled and forgot to check back in.
The issue seems to be the text focus color, rather than the text color. Grey text is normal in Dark theme, but selected items will switch to white text, when in focus / selected. But that seems to be not happening in your environment.
I can confirm that the text color does not change to white even after matching.
:arrow: You could try switching to the GTK LaF implementation:
The "System" theme changes it to the light theme (white background) and colors work fine with that (blue highlight and black text).
What are your system font color settings? What text colors does Dolphin use?
Font color settings are set to "Breeze Dark" (I believe this to be the default dark theme of KDE's Plasma 5). Dolphin uses a blue highlight and white text.
FileBot r9827 may fix the issue.
Is there a way to test r9827 on my system or will it just be on the next program update?

(I'm fine with either. This is just a minor annoyance and obviously doesn't prevent me from using the program.)

Thanks for looking into it!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can download and install r9827 (or higher) by downloading the *.deb / *.tar.xz package (whichever works our Linux distribution) and double-clicking on it. The *.tar.xz package won't install onto your system, but can just extract and run, and symlink into the $PATH manually if desired:
viewtopic.php?t=1609
bassmadrigal

Post by bassmadrigal »

It is much more readable now.

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thank you for reporting back! The highlight text color will be the explicit default on for platforms with the next release.