Adding open matte to tags/edition for plex

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
FabulousTiger

Adding open matte to tags/edition for plex

Post by FabulousTiger »

I noticed that open matte is not noted as a edition or tag (could i add it myself by editing filebot install?). I have been racking my head trying to add it to the folder name as well as the file name I think I have figured out that I can't do it with plex.id or I don't know how to. I am hoping that if I add {edition-open matte} plex will add it as a tag on that movie as if is just in the same folder it shows as a version but it is not easy to see version "edition" unless I go an see get info and read the file name and the size to choose the one I would like. If plex does not pick it up it did not with my first test with folder named {edition-open matte} but there might be a way I don't know about. Worst case I need to filter them out exclude all open matte and do a manual add and add edtion myself but even that might now work when plex matches the same movie and putts them together and go back to versions and not different movie edition.

My current filebot node format. I yeah want to add it to accept open matte somehow.

Format: Select all

{vf =~ /2160p/ ? '4k ' : ''}Movies/{ ~plex.id % { " {edition-$edition}" } }{director ? ' (' + director + ')' : ''} {allOf{hdr}{vf}{vcf}{ac}{channels}.join(' ')}
rednoah
The Source

Re: Adding open matte to tags/edition for plex

Post by rednoah »

What does "open matte" in the context of video files? If it's a common tag, then we can add it to the built-in list of patterns. If it's something unique to your specific use case, then you can just add "open matte" detection to your own custom format code:

{ fn =~ /open.matte/ ? " {edition-Open Matte}" : " {edition-$edition}" }

e.g.

{
	vf =~ /2160p/ ? '4K Movies' : 'Movies'
}
/
{ 
	~plex.id
		% { fn =~ /open.matte/ ? " {edition-Open Matte}" : " {edition-$edition}" } 
		% { ' (' + director + ')' }
		% { ' ' + hdr }
		% { ' ' + vf }
		% { ' ' + vcf }
		% { ' ' + ac }
		% { ' ' + channels }
}

:idea: Note that the {edition} binding works for any pre-existing {edition-XYZ} edition marker and is not limited to the recognized {tags} patterns:

Console Output: Select all

$ filebot -mediainfo *.mkv --format "{fn} | {edition} | {tags}"
X {edition-Open Matte} | Open Matte |
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
8i6juyhrggvf

Post by 8i6juyhrggvf »

I seem to run into this edition mostly in animated movies in the mid 90's. I've gone the manual route similar to as you're showing above to account for them.
FabulousTiger

Post by FabulousTiger »

It's a aspect ratio thing "Open-matte is the general term for when a film is shown (partially or entirely) uncropped from what was originally filmed. This stems from when film stock was used and to achieve the desired final ratio of a film you typically had to physically cover part of the frame with a "matte", hence showing the entire frame without it was dubbed "open-matte"." quote taken from a Reddit comment that summarized it well.

I kinda forgot i posted here as a day or so later i figured out a way, like your first suggestion

/mnt/media/{fn.match(/Open.Matte/) ?  '/Open matte/ ' : "" }/{vf =~ /2160p/ ? '4k ' : ''}Movies/{ ~plex.id % { " {edition-$edition}" } % {fn.match(/Open.Matte/) ? ' (edition-' + {fn.match(/Open.Matte/)} + ')' : '' } }{director ? ' (' + director + ')' : ''} {allOf{hdr}{vf}{vcf}{ac}{channels}.join(' ')}
But as plex would not recognize it by itself as i guess its not very common. I had to add the edition myself so i moved it to its own folder for manual plex import later when i can make sure plex gets has the edition and not is merging it with the a normal one. Tho if there is a way to add {edition-XYZ} to the folder name and not only the file name i believe plex could pick it up automatically but that needs some testing. If it works i can use your 2nd suggestion to add it as a function or to make it recognize it as an edtion. Or would it only add it to the file name as other editions do. As i belive plex would enjoy edtion movies in their own folders more than as versions in the same movie folder but both should work.

And thank you for quick reply even tho i read it way later, and its an amazing application :D
8i6juyhrggvf

Post by 8i6juyhrggvf »

It see's them separate for me in Plex. But maybe this is not what you mean

https://pasteboard.co/AXFnHQoKPFiE.png
FabulousTiger

Post by FabulousTiger »

I have yet to add them properly as edtion folders, because just with files in the same folder as a standard version would from my limited testing give no edtion marker for that movie file I would have to add it myself in plex. But it might be that at that time I had not named them {edition-Open matte} so I need to re test when I have time.

From plex they recommend both file and folder edtion. https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming ... dia-files/
If you are using individual folders per movie, you can add the edition name to either the folder or filename or both. For consistency, we recommend including the edition information in both the folder name and the filename.

/Movies

/Blade Runner (1982)
Blade Runner (1982).mp4

/Blade Runner (1982) {edition-Director's Cut}
Blade Runner (1982) {edition-Director's Cut}.mp4

/Blade Runner (1982) {edition-Final Cut}
Blade Runner (1982) {edition-Final Cut}.mkv