Activation on TrueNAS Scale

Support for unRAID and docker container users
meldalinn

Post by meldalinn »

Is there a variable i could set? Or a command i could invoke in podshell?

There is no button in the webgui.

PodShell does not support the filebot --license *.psm command

Any ideas?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Activation on TrueNAS Scale

Post by rednoah »

I don't know True NAS or PodShell (so screenshots would be helpful so I can see what you can see) but all these tools are generally just a WebUI to generate and execute a docker command.

:arrow: How do I activate my license?

e.g.

Shell: Select all

docker run --rm -it -v "$PWD:/volume1" -v data:/data rednoah/filebot --license /volume1/T1000.psm
rednoah/filebot ... is the docker container name
-v data:/data ... is the persistent application data volume
"$PWD:/volume1" ... is the persistent volume where filebot (running inside the container) can find your license file
--license /volume1/T1000.psm ... is the argument array which tells filebot to install the given license file (file path from the container point of view)

:idea: Alternatively, you can use either the filebot-xpra or the filebot-node container which do provide a WebUI. The Desktop app will ask for a license when needed, so just go ahead and rename some files. FileBot Node has a button. You just need to make sure that you're always using the same -v data:/data persistent application data volume, so that filebot can remember your settings.

ScreenshotScreenshot
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
meldalinn

Post by meldalinn »

Setting the "license" arg cause the deployment to fail - with no logs.

I believe I need some TrueNAS experience to solve this
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Screenshots would allow us to see what you see. I'd like to see how TrueNAS does docker. Might give us a clue.

The TrueNAS Scale manual suggests that their WebUI maps 1:1 to docker command-line arguments:

:idea: --license /volume1/T1000.psm goes into Container Args, likely as 2 separate Arg values:
Screenshot

:idea: The -v persistent volume mounts go here:
Screenshot

:!: As this is a simple filebot command, and not a service that runs indefinitely, the container will start, run the command, and then exit. The TrueNAS docker WebUI should allow you to see the console output somehow.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

So I've played with TrueNAS Scale in a VM and I can understand your frustration. Following the installer is easy, but once it's up and running nothing is easy and nothing just works. I can very much see why typical home users would prefer the ugly unRAID WebUI.

:!: Launching a container via the WebUI doesn't work because gets stuck indefinitely at "Deploying" even thought event log clearly shows ErrImagePull. Can't check logs because the WebUI fails with Error Code 400 every time. It's a very clunky experience. I'm not sure if the docker command via Shell is even supposed to work, but at least it can pull the image, so it's not a fundamental network error.

:!: Can't use named volumes by design:

Code: Select all

docker: Error response from daemon: invalid volume specification: 'data:/data': 'data' 'path' not allowed to be mounted.
:!: Can't mount host paths into the container by design:

docker: Error response from daemon: invalid volume specification: '/mnt/pool1/dataset1/share:/volume1': Invalid mount '/mnt/pool1/dataset1/share' path. Following service(s) use this path: SMB Share.
:!: Can't use default port 5454 by design. TrueNAS wants you to use port 9000 or above.

:!: After managing to run the container from the command-line without volume mounts, networking inside the container also doesn't work:

SEVERE: Unable to set localhost. This prevents creation of a GUID. Cause was: 51bbe6f9e4b6: 51bbe6f9e4b6: Temporary failure in name resolution

So after 3 hours I was unable to run FileBot in a meaningful way. Renaming files / selecting a license file / pretty much anything that FileBot does would require access to the SMB file system where our files are, and internet access. I don't even know where to start with the network errors. Also wasn't able to connect remotely to the Xpra WebUI even though it seems to be running according to the console output. Probably another symptom of docker containers not having network access by default.

tl;dr docker on TrueNAS doesn't work like docker on any other Linux platform, so you will probably need to spend a lot of time in the TrueNAS support forums to understand how TrueNAS does docker.

EDIT:

The example configuration in this thread might help you though, seems to work for other users at least:
viewtopic.php?t=13865