Make the file extension in Original Files visible at all times

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
cheaters

Make the file extension in Original Files visible at all times

Post by cheaters »

Hi Red,

It would be very nice if the Rename panel's two panes, "Original Files" and "New Names", each had a sticky column to the far right for the object's extension.

May we have two columns, one for the Name and one for the extension for both the Original and New names instead of one containing both the name and extension. The scroll feature would only affect the name and not the extension.

The extension names for the "Original Files" panel become hidden after running a preset to rename a file which usually extends the file name length causing both windows to widen and force scrolling to see the extension.

Mock up of suggestion:

Current behavior:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/f ... wf08swiofa
Last edited by cheaters on 10 Sep 2023, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.
cheaters

Re: GUI "Rename" panel upgrade please

Post by cheaters »

Looks like dropbox has changed their Sharing settings... took me a bit to get the proper psuedo Rename attached
rednoah
The Source

Re: GUI "Rename" panel upgrade please

Post by rednoah »

A good suggestion. Unfortunately, that kind of sticky column on top of the scrollpane area is not well supported by the underlying UI framework at first glance. Anything is possible, but this one would be extremely difficult to build and maintain so it might not happen. We'll look into it. In the meanwhile, I recommend using a larger screen or smaller Scale Factor, or the Inspect panel if you're checking through matches one by one.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
cheaters

Re: Make the file extension in Original Files visible at all times

Post by cheaters »

Thanks for the response!

Considering your input... the change wouldn't have to be implemented exactly the way I suggested. Perhaps object type could be first instead of second to object? This way the yellow highlighted object type would always be visible by virtue of being to the left side - two panes wouldn't be necessary to accomplish the same goal
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I'm somewhat hesitant to add UI changes that affect everyone. Some users may prefer to see more of the file path if screen space is limited. We could have options but I'm hesitant to add UI preferences that might end up rather unused and untested. I'll keep the issue in mind though, and we'll see what we can do about it if we see the same issue or related issues being reported by a multitude of users.

:?: Are you renaming files in place? Same folder? Same network share? We could consider showing only the relative target file path even if the format is absolute, case-by-case where it makes sense.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:?: Are you renaming files in place? Same folder? Same network share? We could consider showing only the relative target file path even if the format is absolute, case-by-case where it makes sense.

:?: Looking at the screenshot above, it seems like we could just abbreviate the less relevant sections of the file path, to give more screen space to the more relevant bits, i.e. movie file name and movie folder name. The common prefix is presumably just the network share where files already are, so not particularly relevant, so we could abbreviate that if you are not moving files from one network share to another.
Screenshot
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

Yes I have been recently renaming in place... occasionally not. (my workflow/bash script copies files to a temp folder on "PlexMedia" before renaming with FileBot which moves them into the "PlexServer_1" directory)

I like the ability to validate the full path and what is most pertinent to me is the filetype because of potential collisions when two or more of the same english.srt files accompany the movie. In that case I have to click on a different preset to handle to append decimals
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

cheaters wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 06:21 Yes I have been recently renaming in place... occasionally not. (my workflow/bash script copies files to a temp folder on "PlexMedia" before renaming with FileBot which moves them into the "PlexServer_1" directory)
We can probably do something for the rename-in-place use case where displaying the target file name only would suffice. The "move/organize on small screens" use case will require more thought.

EDIT: FileBot r10047 will only show the file name in New Names if the file is being renamed in place regardless of the format in used generating absolute paths or relative paths.

cheaters wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 06:21 I like the ability to validate the full path and what is most pertinent to me is the filetype because of potential collisions when two or more of the same english.srt files accompany the movie. In that case I have to click on a different preset to handle to append decimals
I'm fairly sure that switching between formats is generally not necessary, since you can always make your one-and-only format smart enough to handle all kinds of use cases.

:?: Can you provide sample file paths and formats for each of your uses? Then we can look into making a single format that handles all your use cases at once.