Rename Series Folders - Cannot get property 'name' on null object

Any questions? Need some help?
silenthooligan

Rename Series Folders - Cannot get property 'name' on null object

Post by silenthooligan »

I am attempting to rename my series folders via Plain Text Mode and am running into problems with error message "Undefined Variable: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'name' on null object".

Some items work, most don't. I have provided screenshots and error log for reference.

Example of working item:

Code: Select all

Black Bird --> Black Bird {tmdb-155537}
Example of non-working item:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine --> error (WARNING: Undefined Variable: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'name' on null object)

FileBot 5.1.1 (r9982)
JNA Native: 6.1.4
MediaInfo: 23.07
7-Zip-JBinding: 16.02
Tools: fpcalc/1.5.0
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2023-09-10 (r939)
Groovy: 4.0.14
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 17.0.8
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 8 Core / 4.3 GB Max Memory / 500 MB Used Memory
STORAGE: NTFS [OS] @ 83 GB
DATA: C:\Users\XB6\AppData\Roaming\FileBot
Package: MSI
License: FileBot License PX49706698 (Valid-Until: 2073-05-09)

Sep 25, 2023 9:31:18 AM net.filebot.Parallelism lambda$async$2
WARNING: Undefined Variable: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'name' on null object at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.NullObject::getProperty in org.codehaus.groovy.vmplugin.v8.IndyInterface::fromCache in __script_9c749aa8a7c90fde5bfff6f3c54389ee_109::run
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: net.filebot.format.SuppressedThrowables: Expression yields empty value: Cannot get property 'name' on null object
   at net.filebot.Parallelism.lambda$async$1(Unknown Source)
   at net.filebot.Parallelism.lambda$async$2(Unknown Source)
Caused by: net.filebot.format.SuppressedThrowables: Expression yields empty value: Cannot get property 'name' on null object
   at net.filebot.format.ExpressionFormat.format(Unknown Source)
   at net.filebot.format.ExpressionFormat.format(Unknown Source)
   at net.filebot.ui.rename.ExpressionFormatter.format(Unknown Source)
   at net.filebot.ui.rename.FormattedFuture.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
   at net.filebot.ui.rename.FormattedFuture.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'name' on null object
   at Script.run(Script:2)
   at net.filebot.format.ExpressionEngine.evaluateScriptlet(Unknown Source)
   ... 7 more
Screenshot
Screenshot
rednoah
The Source

Re: Rename Series Folders - Cannot get property 'name' on null object

Post by rednoah »

:idea: Do files inside the given folders have xattr metadata? The Rename Series Folders example assumes that the files inside those folders have previously been identified and renamed with FileBot, and thus have xattr metadata attached to each episode file. series.name doesn't work if we don't have episode / series metadata readily available.

:arrow: Please confirm that files do / do not have xattr metadata. You can do that with the Filter › Attributes tool. Please read Metadata and Extended Attributes for details.

Screenshot

:arrow: You will need to process / rename the files inside those folders with FileBot first, at least one of them. At that point FileBot will store xattr metadata for each processed / renamed file.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
silenthooligan

Post by silenthooligan »

Spot on for the missing xattr metadata being the culprit. Verified and validated. I appreciate the assist and will get my folders processed again. I would like to point out, however, that all of these files were previously processed using filebot so I'm not sure why the xattr metadata would be missing.

comparison of attributes missing vs not missing.
Screenshot
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Extended Attributes / NTFS Alternate Data Streams is an optional file system feature. If you move / copy files around then xattr may get silently lost if the target file system does not support xattr or if the program doing the move / copy isn't aware of xattr.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
silenthooligan

Post by silenthooligan »

That would do it. I have definitely moved these between multiple filesystems. Thank you again for your insights! Phenomenal application you have created for the masses.