Subtitle opensubtitles.org - Client Error

Support for Windows users
tcichowicz

Subtitle opensubtitles.org - Client Error

Post by tcichowicz »

Hi;

I've been using FileBot for years .... this morning noticed I can't download subtitles?
http://www.km4vig.com/DMR/img/filebot_error.png

I've confirmed my account with opensubtitles.org which connects, and also finds the file to download.

anybody HELP?
Last edited by tcichowicz on 21 Oct 2023, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Subtitle opensubtitles.org - Client Error

Post by rednoah »

:?: What does the log say?

:idea: Please read How to Request Help if you need help finding the log.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
tcichowicz

Post by tcichowicz »

??

I have no idea where the log file is?

I have looked in the program file locations... and many of the folders .. ?

[ FOUND IT]

Code: Select all

Oct 21, 2023 12:39:00 PM net.filebot.ui.subtitle.SubtitleAutoMatchDialog$SubtitleDescriptorBean fetch
WARNING: Client Error: https://dl.opensubtitles.org/en/download/src-api/vrf-19a90c50/sid-qTXwHv,5kjpe3Wx7rmX8G3DY8O8/file/1952184540.gz [403 Forbidden]
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, 403 Forbidden just tells that the server has rejected the request. Could be a temporary server-side issue. Could be a server-imposed download limit. You may need to not download subtitles for 4-5 days, and then try again.

:!: Note that the URL itself seems to be valid and working. So 403 Forbidden could quite possibly be the CloudFlare edge cache (and not OpenSubtitle servers) blocking your request due to (perceived) abuse by your public IP. You could try copy & pasting the subtitle download URL into your browser and see if CloudFlare makes you solve a captcha.
tcichowicz

Post by tcichowicz »

Yeah;

I had already tried copying the download URL - within the error message, and it resolves, and I can download the file using that link fine.

I didn't get prompted for a Captcha .. it just popped up a download/ file explorer for a location to save the file.
tcichowicz

Post by tcichowicz »

I didn't get prompted for a Captcha .. it just popped up a download/ file explorer for a location to save the file.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:?: Have you tried with a different internet connection? e.g. VPN, no VPN, mobile phone hotspot, etc

:arrow: Let's wait and see. If the issue persists for more than a week, then we can do some more detailed debugging.
duff69

Post by duff69 »

I'm running into this error as well when FileBot tries to download subtitles. Prior to yesterday, it worked fine.

I tried putting bogus opensubtitles.org credentials in the account configuration, which it didn't accept. I then put in the correct ones which it did accept.

The error that appears is:
WARNING: Client Error: https://dl.opensubtitles.org/en/downloa ... 6124632.gz [403 Forbidden]

I've got a second internet connection with a different ISP that I switched over to which has never been used for anything but work, and the same error comes up.

opensubtitles.org have stated they are depreciating their API's sometime in 2023 and moving them over to opensubtitles.com - were you aware of this change coming? I went to opensubtitles.com to migrate my .org credentials over already. The https://monitor.opensubtitles.org/public.php link is showing that their APIs have been down for 19 hours, so they may have migrated over to the .com servers.
Last edited by duff69 on 21 Oct 2023, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: The upcoming API changes are unrelated to this issue, since the download link works in your web browser. OpenSubtitles login working and subtitle search working suggests that the API is working.

:idea: The most likely explanation is that CloudFlare can tell which request is performed by a human and which request is performed by a robot, and blocks the robot.

EDIT:

I can reproduce the problem and the HTTP response header cf-mitigated: challenge indeed confirms that CloudFlare blocks requests since FileBot can't pass "Are you a human?" challenges:

:status: 403
cf-mitigated: challenge
cf-ray: 819bc029eeef80bf-NRT
content-encoding: gzip
content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Unfortunately, I have no solution. Perhaps OpenSubtitles is under DDoS attack and so CloudFlare has decided to block robots from making certain requests. Perhaps it'll work again if you try again next week.
tcichowicz

Post by tcichowicz »

UPDATE;

well, nothing has changed... a day later and getting the same response.

Tried installing FileBot on another PC - latest version FileBot_5.1.1_x64

Installed fine, applied license, setup subtitle account for opensubtitles.org - it confirmed connection with message of '8-1000' per day.

Really disappointing, thank goodness my Emby server still automatically fetches subtitles - which also uses my (same) opensubtitles.org account.

The fact that my Emby server is still working kinda dispels the 'robot' fetching theory... as being the problem.

Emby working ... http://www.km4vig.com/DMR/img/EMBY_no_filebot_error.png
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

tcichowicz wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 14:29 The fact that my Emby server is still working kinda dispels the 'robot' fetching theory... as being the problem.
:idea: The HTTP request that Emby sends is somehow slightly different which somehow doesn't trigger the CF challenge. CF may decide to challenge some requests and not others. Presumably, CF erroneously blocks HTTP requests from FileBot at this point in time due to some false positive reason. The response header saying cf-mitigated: challenge means that CF did challenge the request. This is a fact. Unfortunately, I don't know how to make CF passthrough our perfectly normal and valid HTTP requests.

:?: Are there any HTTP headers we can set that will somehow make the request work?

Console Output: Select all

$ curl -I 'https://dl.opensubtitles.org/en/download/src-api/vrf-19aa0c50/sid-H106WwNuo3rnIDbH-AwYY,Iuxz5/filead/1956124632.gz'
HTTP/2 403
date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:04:53 GMT
content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
content-length: 6134
cross-origin-embedder-policy: require-corp
cross-origin-opener-policy: same-origin
cross-origin-resource-policy: same-origin
origin-agent-cluster: ?1
permissions-policy: accelerometer=(),autoplay=(),browsing-topics=(),camera=(),clipboard-read=(),clipboard-write=(),geolocation=(),gyroscope=(),hid=(),interest-cohort=(),magnetometer=(),microphone=(),payment=(),publickey-credentials-get=(),screen-wake-lock=(),serial=(),sync-xhr=(),usb=()
referrer-policy: same-origin
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
cf-mitigated: challenge
cache-control: private, max-age=0, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:01 GMT
report-to: {"endpoints":[{"url":"https:\/\/a.nel.cloudflare.com\/report\/v3?s=Cem2nKmzIp83AJzJeJjPga8epyIn2i39GmmfCPLnqk%2BD%2FfwpMhzukN6bGSWnY2y7g1jB22sQzNkDWK%2FaPb%2BfO3%2BKiTK4JzWiMtc6yKT0XL%2FtnWiZxWnKu4MnhT%2F5gE1PYaZwn9LpPA%3D%3D"}],"group":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
nel: {"success_fraction":0,"report_to":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
server: cloudflare
cf-ray: 81a2a2a4bb547d8f-LAX
alt-svc: h3=":443"; ma=86400

:arrow: I will do some random trial & error to see what I can do differently in the HTTP request to make it work when I have time.
tcichowicz

Post by tcichowicz »

Thanks for the follow-up, and anything you can do to resolve. As this function in FileBot - is half of its purpose for me.
baconvulture

Post by baconvulture »

Thank you tcichowicz for posting this problem. I just encountered it this morning, and before I came across your forum post, I had fruitlessly tried everything I could think of, believing it somehow involved something wrong on my end. I hope this gets resolved soon, because FileBot's subtitles-fetching function is half its purpose for me as well.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:arrow: :arrow: Download requests result in http error 403 "Forbidden" may have updates directly from the OpenSubtitles developers.
trinhm838

Post by trinhm838 »

I am facing this same issue, and this feature is one of the main reasons I paid for Filebot. It would be a shame if it can't be resolved :(
tcichowicz

Post by tcichowicz »

Seems like they know that it is their problem, and are on it?

Re: Download requests result in http error 403 "Forbidden"
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:38 pm

yes for some reason CF seems automatically change security of webpage...anyway, should be fixed, sorry for glitch.
tcichowicz

Post by tcichowicz »

Yippie!

I just tried it and it seems to be FIXED!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

trinhm838 wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 03:56 I am facing this same issue, and this feature is one of the main reasons I paid for Filebot. It would be a shame if it can't be resolved :(
Looks like the CloudFlare issue is fixed:
https://forum.opensubtitles.org/viewtopic.php?t=18372

:idea: Do keep in mind that that the Subtitles feature is not a paid feature, it doesn't require a license, FileBot won't ask / check for a license when using it, you can use it without ever paying for FileBot, etc. You are exclusively paying for the Rename feature.