Naming of TV Episodes with their Subtitles

Support for Windows users
ToxicAvenger

Naming of TV Episodes with their Subtitles

Post by ToxicAvenger »

I apologize in advance for what is probably a dumb question. In my defense, I'm 70something and not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

I have just now purchased a one-year license of Filebot to see if I can use it more effectively & efficiently than my current process.

This is all for Plex

I have been:

(1) Creating a parent folder
(2) Creating Season folders
(3) Using Bulk Rename Utility (BRU) to rename the TV episodes and their subtitles
(4) Moving the files into their season folders using Multi Commander for it's wonderful two-pane mode

NOTE that my TV episodes come with their matching subtitles - I do NOT want Filebot to download them, just rename them along with the episodes.

The Structure is:

The Waltons
\Season 01
The.Waltons.S01E01.mp4
The.Waltons.S01E01.en.srt
The.Waltons.S01E02.mp4
The.Waltons.S01E02.en.srt

*** I am assuming that Filebot can do all of this without any trouble, but I'm concerned that I might have to create a script or something along those lines as I've seen posted here. I am NOT up for something like that. I can barely remember to take out the trash, although my wife claims that's intentional.

Is Filebot good for what I have been doing manually?
"I think that the mistake a lot of us make is thinking that the state-appointed shrink is our friend."
rednoah
The Source

Re: Naming of TV Episodes with their Subtitles

Post by rednoah »

The How do I organize files for Plex? guide covers everything you need I believe. Just drop in all your files, match to Episode information, set {plex.id} as format, double-check everything, then hit the Rename button to move / organize your files:

If you have any questions, just ask. We're here to help.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ToxicAvenger

Post by ToxicAvenger »

Fantastic, thank you!

Reading that article has brought up a question:

Ensure that Prefer local metadata is disabled in your library settings, and that Local Media Assets disabled in your agent settings. We want Plex to not use the embedded media title as display name.

When I was having trouble with subtitles, a Plex guide said that Local Media Assets needed to be ENABLED. ALL of my content is local, Plex does not reach out for subtitles or for anything that I know of except to phone home for behind-the-scenes stuff.

I can certainly test and see what happens, but that requirement is unexpected OR I'm not getting the mechanics of it... which is probably the more likely thing.
"I think that the mistake a lot of us make is thinking that the state-appointed shrink is our friend."
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Plex tutorial talks about "Local Media Assets" solely in the context of display labels for movie and episode items in Plex, i.e. display database information and not embedded media titles. I don't know if that setting has any effect on external subtitles. Please run tests and report back your findings.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.