Windows install issue - Feature is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Support for Windows users
autryld

Windows install issue - Feature is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Post by autryld »

Hello,

I'm running FileBot on Windows 11. I downloaded FileBot version 5.1.2 and attempted to install and got the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". I uninstalled FileBot and got the same message on the second and subsequent attempts. Even though I uninstalled the current version (FileBot_4.9.6_x64) and the install seemed to fail, the Application list showed 5.1.2 as being installed but when I ran it, 4.9.6 was in the titlebar. As my efforts progressed and I changed strategies, there were various strange issues that I didn't document so I'll just leave it at that.

I was about ready to install the standalone version until I scanned the registry and found that the PSM file was registered on the C drive. However, I knew that it was actually on the D drive due to the home directory migration to the D drive. I didn't realize that this would mess up future installations.

I moved the PSM file from the D drive to the C drive but in a similar tree structure and the next install attempt worked fine. Why didn't the install process just tell me it couldn't find the PSM file? The only weirdness I see now is that the version number is no longer in the program titlebar. How do I fix that.

Thanks,
Larry
rednoah
The Source

Re: Windows install issue - Feature is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Post by rednoah »

autryld wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 04:54 Even though I uninstalled the current version (FileBot_4.9.6_x64) and the install seemed to fail, the Application list showed 5.1.2 as being installed but when I ran it, 4.9.6 was in the titlebar.
:idea: You likely have multiple versions of FileBot installed. Please uninstall all versions of FileBot that you may have installed, as to avoid confusion, and then only install the latest version. You may use the use the *.zip portable package to bypass any Microsoft Installer issues entirely.

:idea: The MSI installer and the *.psm license file are completely unrelated. One does not affect the other. Keywords like "home directory migration" would suggest a generic Microsoft Installer issue to me.

:idea: Microsoft Installer (MSI) is built-in Windows software that installs *.msi packages. No FileBot code runs until the *.msi is successfully installed, so we cannot help you debug this kind of issue. If you have an MSI issue then it is likely generic to all kinds of software, and so a Google search for the error message might give you a few pointers. Maybe Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed will help.

:?: Can you provide screenshots for context? Did you download the *.msi package into a SMB network share that intermittently doesn't work? Just an idea. Could by anything. No idea without context.

:arrow: Whatever the root cause there might be that causes the *.msi package to not work on your machine, you can always use the *.zip portable package instead: https://www.filebot.net/download.html
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.