Move and re-organize folder

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
hollstrom

Move and re-organize folder

Post by hollstrom »

Hey, Looking into FileBot to assist with the following if it is the right tool.
Task is to clean up 4 large main folders (all located under the same Synology shared folder) each with ~4000 files and ~1000 subfolders.

Example:
Folder1
-- 4000 files -> create new folder and move file into the newly created folder (under Folder1). The folder file name preferrably to auto match the file content.
-- 1000 subfolders under Folder1 to be untouched

Files needs to be moved into new individual folders, no file re-naming right now but might want to address that later as well, all subfolders remain where they are. Existing Plex library should not be too messed up.

I have Filebot and Filebot Node running in Docker Container Manager on Synology (will get a license if this task can be achieved)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Move and re-organize folder

Post by rednoah »

If it's a one off-task, then I would strongly recommend using the FileBot Desktop application from your Desktop correctly name and organize your files via a network drive. Since you're organizing files for Plex, you'll want to name and organize files correctly right away in a single step, and then have Plex rescan the library.

:arrow: Please read the How do I organize files for Plex? guide for details and examples.

:idea: If you cannot use a Desktop PC, then you still want to use the FileBot Desktop application. See filebot-xpra for details.

:idea: Processing files in manageable batches is always a good idea. You can multi-select the files you want to process and drag-n-drop them into FileBot. Start with small batches. Try larger batches as you gain confidence in the process. I'd still quickly glance over everything just to double-check though.

:idea: You should be able to evaluate all you need before purchasing a license. See How do I evaluate FileBot? for details. (NOTE: you cannot move / rename files without a license so you cannot evaluate how Plex would react to moved / renamed files; though you could manually move / rename some files and see how Plex reacts to that)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.