jnidispatch and other java apps

Any questions? Need some help?
pfeerick

jnidispatch and other java apps

Post by pfeerick »

Hi all,

Not sure on if this is the best place to file this message, so please feel to move it to a more appropriate sub-forum.

After a couple days pulling my hair out over why a few programs (Processing IDE, Arduino IDE & Fritzing) had stopped working, and were giving me "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError" and "com.sun.jna.Native.pointerSize()I" errors. Finally tracked it down to the "jnidispatch.dll" included with the updated v4.0 of FileBot. Removing Filebot from the system %PATH% resolved this issue for the other apps whilst still allowing the FileBot GUI to operate. So I don't know if this is a resolvable problem, but thought I would document the issue and one possible resolution here.

Cheers,
Peter
rednoah
The Source

Re: jnidispatch and other java apps

Post by rednoah »

I've already filed a bug report with Processing IDE a few months ago, seems like they have ignored it.

They need to set jna.nosys Java property on their end:

Code: Select all

-Djna.nosys=true
If you install 64-bit FileBot it will come with 64-bit jnidispatch.dll and it can't be extracted at runtime to avoid anti-virus warnings. Some even block DLLs loaded from %temp%.

The JNA library will, by default, first check the system for jnidispatch.dll rather than extract it from the jar. That's an issue when processing starts in 32-bit mode and then suddenly tries to load 64-bit jnidispatch.dll from FileBot folder.

So the issue can be fixed by running Processing IDE with 64-bit JVM on 64-bit systems or just setting jna.nosys=true correctly.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
pfeerick

Re: jnidispatch and other java apps

Post by pfeerick »

Thanks for the quick response.

I would say it was ignored/missed, as the issue is still open and there hasn't been any comment on it. I added my case to the issue so see what happens. It looks like this may be an ongoing issue that hasn't been resolved, as there are similar symptoms reported back as far as 2010.

Here's hoping that this refresh resolves the issue!

btw, I really love the app! Keep up the great work!