I don't know anything about groovy or programing!

Running FileBot from the console, Groovy scripting, shell scripts, etc
johngcp
Supporter

I don't know anything about groovy or programing!

Post by johngcp »

I have to say that I know nothing about programing or how to write in groovy, and I'm probably an idiot for not knowing it. If you want to really get good use out of this program and make it personalized to you, then knowing how to write out the code is something you will probably need. and I sadly don't. This program forces you to learn a little bit if you want to do more advanced stuff, and it doesn't lock you down to just one thing, or one set of simple layouts, you can do a ton of stuff with this thing.

I've been playing with it a little and checking the forums and learning a little bit (probably doing it wrong), but every time I actually get something right and it works it's so satisfying. I mean it really feels like I did a little something and am learning something. I have never used such a simple program that was just so powerful, and amazing. To be clear, I really love this program. and I just gotta say bravo to the creator. (P.S. I never really post on forums or anything but I really really just had to let out how amazing I think this program is)

By the way if the developer sees this, I'm a artist, and I don't know if it would be hard to or not, but is there anyway I could make a custom skin for this program? I've never done it before, but I would love to spend some time making one or more if it ends up being easy. If you liked them maybe you could add them to the build so people could add them and make the program have a custom look. anyway thank again for making this program.
rednoah
The Source

Re: I don't know anything about groovy or programing!

Post by rednoah »

Well, in an ideal world you could just copy and paste what you need from here:
http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2

And if the naming logic you want isn't on that list already, just give me an example and I'll just write it for you and other to just copy & paste. ;)

As for a new look, with the current GUI application there is little that could be done other than changing icons.

However over the next few years there maybe completely new UIs namely:
* Synology NAS WebUI (HTML5 based)
* "Next Generation" Desktop App (JavaFX based)

The Synology NAS thing is something I'll be working on for the next few months, and if there's screenshot I'm happy for any artistic input, or help with artwork. Same applies of course to the JavaFX rewrite though that's still far off, probably only start that once 4K displays become the norm, and only develop for high-resolution display and not support the current 72dpi at all.

In anycase for me doing the art is hard. So if you have some create design as photoshop file I can easily reconstruct it using JavaFX / HTML5 / etc but other than artwork user interaction design will be important too.

I'll make sure to post screenshots and stuff on facebook and twitter, so if you follow those you can give me some input on the artistic progress of things. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
johngcp
Supporter

Post by johngcp »

I like this forum, and this program it's actually pretty fun learning a little as you go and well as it just working so well, it will only get better.

I just bought a synology nas actually, (haven't gotten it setup yet, or going (not in any rush) but when you get working on that if there is anything I can help with skin and design then let me know. I know that with a lot of programs I have found that people really love skins and to make them person or to math their computer scheme, so I'll do some thinking/research and try and come up with something for ya, and hopefully you like it and can use it, like I said it's rare that I ever find a computer program that is just this awesome and just works, so I wanna do what I can and art is what I do well.

I am great with photoshop, and (art in general). I'll try and figure out how to follow you on twitter, (I'm kinda not using facebook anymore at the moment) and hopefully I can either help or give input :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sure, so for the Desktop App there's technically no way to style it, but the WebUI for Synology DSM will naturally be browser-based so there should be quite a lot of flexibility.

I don't even have a prototype or design at this point, but at least the for the NAS it'll not be an interactive GUI like the Desktop App right now, but more of a scheduler, create-configure-execute-task kind of thing. I'll be in touch for artsy input when the time comes. ;)

Facebook is fine. All posts to Twitter get posted on Facebook automatically as well. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
johngcp
Supporter

Post by johngcp »

o.k. sounds good I'll keep up with you