Congratulations! FileBot will not run in WINDOWS XP again

Any questions? Need some help?
lolailo

Congratulations! FileBot will not run in WINDOWS XP again

Post by lolailo »

Since v4.5 you require Java 8. You can't install Java 8 in Windows XP, only 7.

Multi platform... except for Windows XP, such a great idea!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Congratulations! FileBot will not run in WINDOWS XP agai

Post by rednoah »

Too bad, but you really have to thank Microsoft for that.

@see http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/winxp.xml

Unofficially though, have you tried this?
@see http://inbytebg.com/techblog/?p=189
@see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfnv41O4voY
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Ryster

Post by Ryster »

Personally, I think requiring Java 8 is a mistake. Not because of XP support, I'm happy that is dieing off and luddites are being forced to upgrade. No, the reason I think it's a mistake to require Java 8 is because Oracle themselves still are not confident enough in it to make it the default version on Java.com. Allow me to quote their own words:
Why is Java 8 not available on java.com?
Java 8 is the latest release for Java that contains new features, enhancements and bug fixes to improve efficiency to develop and run Java programs.

The new release of Java is first made available to developers to give adequate time for testing and certification before being made available on the java.com website for end users to download.
So clearly they don't think adequate time has passed for testing and certification before the "end users" get it by default. So why do you?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Some (badly written) old code might not work with the new JRE so they wanna avoid breaking any applications you might be using.

So it's not that Java 8 is not stable, it's that existing Java applications my break when running with Java 8 due to programming errors in the application, not the runtime, and Oracle is giving these developers time to test things with Java 8.

For example older versions of FileBot don't work on Java 8 because of programming errors on my side, but I never noticed cause it somehow worked with the Java 6 runtime. Most companies have (very badly written) in-house Java programs for their employees, where the original developer has long left the company. So Oracle is giving companies time to get their shit together before they roll out Java 8 to everyone via automatic updates.

The more people using Java 8 the faster other application developers will have to fix their bad code now, and not later in 2015.

The main reason is probably to officially support Windows XP for an extra few months though, before they cut the cord as well like Microsoft. :D

Besides, you can always use FileBot v4.2 if you can't update to Java 8 yet for some reason.
lolailo

Post by lolailo »

You are forcing Java 8 and other Java programs like jdownloader are forcing Java 7. You have to use a bugged jdowloader 2 beta that runs under Java 8.

This is so great. If as you said, a well coded java 7 app runs perfectly under Java 8, keep coding the way you want but compile it to run under Java 7.

And when Oracle forces Java 8 by default, all well coded apps should be able to run under 8 with no problem. Until then, Java 7 is the standard.

Just use Java 8 to do your internal tests.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

First of all, FileBot v4.5 does not compile with Java 7 compatibility. It's not a matter of bytecode compatibility. It's a matter of new APIs and language features.

I've been developing with Java 8 and compiling with Java 6/7 compatibility since March. I've decided that I want to use all the Java 7 and Java 8 features (i.e. new APIs and syntax that don't exist in Java 6/7) because it'll allow me to write faster better more readable code.

I don't see a Power User, Donor or Supporter tag next to your name, and judging by the number of posts you have never contributed anything to the community here. If you had tested one of the previews over the last 3 months you could have complained then. None of the other 4.3+ early adopters had any complaints.

That being said, v4.2 works perfectly fine, and I'm sure it's gonna work perfectly fine until well into 2015.

PS: Honestly, it's the same as when I dropped Java 6 support and all the Mac users complained. And that worked out. Now it's the same with Java 7 on Windows. I'm sure it's gonna be fine as well.

EDIT: Java 7 EoL (End-of-Live) is April 2015, so users and developers will need to upgrade in the next 6 months one way or another.
rednoah
The Source

Congratulations! FileBot will run in WINDOWS XP again

Post by rednoah »

Congratulations! FileBot will run in WINDOWS XP again

@see https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/t ... of_java_on