Is Java required?

Support for Windows users
sirlogan

Is Java required?

Post by sirlogan »

Hello. This is a simple quick question: does the Windows Store version requires me to have Java installed in my computer?
Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Java question

Post by rednoah »

No.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sirlogan

Post by sirlogan »

rednoah wrote:No.
For sure? Because I found the latest version on Sourceforge (4.7.8 I think) and after installing it and trying to launch it, it asked me for Java to be able to run. I don't want to spend money on this and then find out that I should have a third party software installed that I am not willing to use, just to be able to use this.

I know, you are the developer so nobody knows better than you, but when you are in my situation (unemployed with a 3 years old on daycare and only 1 source of income) $23.19 is a lot of money to spend on a software that is not an essential tool. I am not asking for freebies (really, I'm not), just to be 100% sure that I won't have to fight for a refund or find a workaround.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for reading.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Store version is self-contained and works out of the box. The same does not apply to other versions.
sirlogan wrote:Does the Windows Store version requires me to have Java installed in my computer
The Windows Store version (~100 MB) includes it's own private JRE and does not require you to install Java. In this case, FileBot using Java internally is an implementation detail that you don't need to worry about at all.
sirlogan wrote:version on Sourceforge
The legacy version of FileBot (~25 MB) does require you to install Java on the system which then serves as shared runtime for all software that may require it.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.