FileBot on the Mac App Store

Support for macOS users and the Mac App Store package
rednoah
The Source

FileBot on the Mac App Store

Post by rednoah » 16 Jun 2018, 09:22

FileBot is available on the Mac App Store (MAS) as well as an independent Mac app bundle.

Here are the key differences:
  • The MAS app works out of the box and does not require you to purchase a FileBot License.
  • The MAS app runs in a sandbox with limited system access. FileBot will have to ask for permissions before accessing files.
  • The MAS app does not support the filebot command-line tools due to Apple restrictions.
  • The MAS app does not support Automator Workflows due to Apple restrictions.
  • The MAS app does not support the FileBot Subtitles feature due to Apple restrictions.
  • The MAS purchase is limited to macOS only and does not enable or entitle you to use FileBot on any other operating system or platform.
  • Apple takes a 30% cut (as opposed to 5% + $0.50 per sale via Paddle) from each and every MAS purchase, so the MAS price is proportionally higher to account for that.

:idea: The independent Mac app bundle has no restrictions, but requires you to purchase a FileBot license.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.

leejk

Re: FileBot on the Mac App Store

Post by leejk » 13 Jun 2019, 00:19

Hi,

I have the MAS version, and previously I had install the Homebrew version installed as well in order to run scripts. However I had to uninstall/reinstall Homebrew, but now the Homebrew version wants a license. Has there been a change in the license policy?

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 13 Jun 2019, 03:53

Yes, FileBot is now available independently of any App Store:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6265

You can request a complimentary license if you need to work around Apple limitations:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9517

ziki

Post by ziki » 21 Oct 2019, 00:13

Hey. I purchased the MAS version without realizing I'll be missing some functionality (mainly the subtitles). Is it possible to get the full version? It's a lot of money for an app with missing features. Sure, my bad for not doing the research, but to be fair, neither app store or your main web page mentions this.
Thanks for any help I get.

Cheers.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah » 21 Oct 2019, 14:33

Unfortunately, purchases from different stores and license systems are not interchangeable:
viewtopic.php?t=6265

I can offer 1 year complimentary universal licenses though:
viewtopic.php?t=9517

:idea: Apple does not allow the mentioning of features that are not in the MAS app. The FileBot website does however most prominently feature the direct purchase options for obvious reasons.

:idea: 1/3 of the money you paid goes directly to Apple as reseller. You may judge their services and policies (e.g. Refund policy) for yourself and then decide to use or not use their services in the future.