FileBot does not have permissions necessary to access %APPDATA% folder

Support for Windows users
lha8mfm

FileBot does not have permissions necessary to access %APPDATA% folder

Post by lha8mfm »

Hello,

I'm having some issues when starting FileBot and it seems to be something about permissions with AppData\Roaming folder on Windows 10.

I installed FileBot from the .msi file with an universal license. App has worked well but strangely it hasn't been working for a while now. Today I started investigating the issue and when starting the app from the command line I get the following error :

Code: Select all

PS C:\Users\USER> filebot.exe
Failed to initialize error log: No Such File: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\logs\error.log (Access is denied)
An unexpected error occurred during startup: Access Denied: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\0\.lock
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\0\.lock
        at net.filebot.DiskStore.acquireDiskStore(Unknown Source)
        at net.filebot.DiskStore.acquire(Unknown Source)
        at net.filebot.Main.main(Unknown Source)
Starting the app from another user on the system works fine.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to no avail. I also reinstalled Java and there was no difference.
I can start the app as an administrator, but then I have no access to my mounted volumes since they are mounted as another user.

A Google search for the error was not helpful and in this forum the closest issue I can find is this one, but it is related to an install from the Windows Store...

Has anyone got any idea or can point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much for any help!
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot does not have permissions necessary to access %APPDATA% folder

Post by rednoah »

Try deleting C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\FileBot and then starting FileBot. FileBot will create %APPDATA%\FileBot on startup. That being said, you shouldn't get any permission issues in the first place since %APPDATA% is user-specific, so the current user should always have permissions for it's own user profile folder, and it'd be most unusual if it didn't have permissions to it's own user profile folder.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
lha8mfm

Post by lha8mfm »

I forgot to tell you, I already did that and the error persisted... I even created the folder myself to see if there was any difference.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sorry. A user not being able to access its own user home folder makes no sense to me. Apparently it can create new folders though? But not write files? Maybe out of disk space? No idea... Definitely a Windows issue though...

:idea: The issue sounds rather generic, so you might find something on Google if you don't limit yourself to "filebot" keyword searches.

:idea: The Windows experts on https://superuser.com/ might be able to give you some debug advice.

EDIT:

:arrow: Perhaps you can just use the portable ZIP package? You can extract and run that one anywhere, so you can always pick a folder where there isn't some weird wonky Windows permission issues.
lha8mfm

Post by lha8mfm »

I did thought about running the portable ZIP package but didn't found it so I thought it no longer existed. It is not listed on your front page, but I did found it in the Release Index after you talked about it.

Unfortunately, I can't even run the portable package... I extracted the package and ran it from the Desktop (with and without Java installed, although I didn't think it would have made any difference...).

When running the filebot.launcher.exe I get a window with the error

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again 
followed by another window saying

A Java Exception has occurred.
This really is bizarre, since you package the Java binaries within the ZIP file...

The output when running filebot.exe from the CLI is the following :

Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: 'void sun.nio.fs.WindowsNativeDispatcher.initIDs()'
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsNativeDispatcher.initIDs(Native Method)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsNativeDispatcher.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributes.get(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.zip.ZipFile$Source.get(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.zip.ZipFile$CleanableResource.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.getMainClassFromJar(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.loadMainClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)
Could this have anything to do with some environment variables affecting the way Java runs? I can't think of anything else...
lha8mfm

Post by lha8mfm »

:D I found the culprit!

The error output in the last post sent me in the direction of this post which made me think it there must have been an issue with some environment variable or some issue with encoding.

I went to my regional settings on the Control Panel and found a setting activated relating to UTF-8 characters that changed the way FileBot locked for its data folder or something...

So for any other users that encounter this issue :
Go to Control Panel > Region. Under the Administrative tab, in the section Language for non-Unicode programs, open Change system locale... and then uncheck the option Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support .

@rednoah, thank you very much for the help!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

lha8mfm wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 17:11 ... and then uncheck the option Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support .
F*ck that's some random sh*t right there... I'd never ever have guessed a LOCALE issue on Windows...