Here are the key differences:
- The MAS app works out of the box and does not require you to purchase a FileBot License.
- The MAS app runs in a sandbox with limited system access. FileBot will have to ask for permissions before accessing files.
- The MAS app does not support the filebot command-line tools due to Apple restrictions.
- The MAS app does not support Automator Workflows due to Apple restrictions.
- The MAS app does not support the FileBot Subtitles feature due to Apple restrictions.
- The MAS purchase is limited to macOS only and does not enable or entitle you to use FileBot on any other operating system or platform.
- Apple takes a 30% cut (as opposed to 5% + $0.50 per sale via Paddle) from each and every MAS purchase, so the MAS price is proportionally higher to account for that.
The independent Mac app bundle has no restrictions, but requires you to purchase a FileBot license.