[User Study] Take a screen recording and earn yourself a free license

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
rednoah
The Source

[User Study] Take a screen recording and earn yourself a free license

Post by rednoah » 14 Jun 2019, 06:02

As developers, we often don't really know how end-users end up using our tools. Everything is intuitive if you already know how it works, but how about new users? How is the on-boarding experience? What pitfalls are there? How do do various kinds of users interpret and explore the FileBot user-interface? What thoughts do they have?

You may download and evaluate FileBot without having to purchase a license first:
https://www.filebot.net/download.html

:arrow: If you take a screen recording of your on-boarding experience, you can earn yourself a 1-year complimentary license. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

:idea: Feel free to think out loud and narrate what you are doing.
:idea: Screen recordings can be shared publicly via YouTube, or privately by sharing a Google Drive link via PM.

:arrow: This offer is also available for seasoned FileBot veterans who would like to provide detailed constructive criticisms for the various more or less intuitive features, and discuss ideas on how to make things work more smoothly. :ugeek:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.

Antz123

Re: [User Study] Take a screen recording and earn yourself a free license

Post by Antz123 » 26 Sep 2019, 20:08

So... My prime uses has been anime renaming, rarely its a TV series or some Movies.

My feedback

1) places like Horrible subs which I use for anime, many times filebot doesn't pick the names. Reason could be two fold, a) many anime series names are in Japanese, out of those some names are easy to pick may be ones like Naruto, Megalobox, however longer names e.g. "Dungeon ni deai motomeru no wa machigatteiru darou ka" or a name that mixed up could be an issue. There I use things like BulkFileRenamer to rename bit of names of a batch of files to immediately convert the Japanese name of all files to English version. And then Filebot picks up the English name of the anime series quickly. So some bulk renaming option that could rename bits of batch file collection would be a great help. B) many of anime uploaded would put their name in front e.g. At horriblesubs all files are called (horriblesubs)Naruto - 245 (720p).mkv these sort of files at times also need BulkFile. It just helps me remove first 14 spaces of filenames and that solves the issue and FileBot picks it quickly and renaming entire batch is perfect.

2) same happens on tv/movie or music. So I use BulkFile and FileBot in tandem for things I wish to keep. For Music mp3tags or MediaMonkey I prefer more as their metadata I find much more easily. So if more metadate like how those two use it, can make FileBot for me 1 stop for all three.

3) this is more of a feedback the episode list part actually at times has picked up some things which the automatic matching doesn't. However, I explored that bit quite late, almost for the first time this year.

4) I don't know much of this is possible, but if FileBot has an extension like a library of all entertainment that person has over the Hard disks, could it even play/stream/connect to smart devices as it eliminates many other softwares that we all keep jumping to/from.

Hope this somewhere helps. Thanks.

rednoah
The Source

Re: [User Study] Take a screen recording and earn yourself a free license

Post by rednoah » 27 Sep 2019, 03:35

1a.
FileBot does support file-based renaming so you can do any kind of pre-processing even if the files don't match any databases:
viewtopic.php?t=2072

1b.
FileBot will generally ignore group names, especially when in parenthesis. So that should work.

:idea: In any case, if you find file paths that don't work as expected, just paste them here in the forums so I can have a look and see what's happening exactly. More often than not, things can be fine-tuned to make things work.

You should be able to access any ID3 tags generically via the MediaInfo bindings:
viewtopic.php?t=4285

:idea: If it's more or less easy to use than other 3rd party software that I cannot say. But if you're missing any bindings, just post here in the forums so we can have a look.

IDK. I'd need to see screenshots to have a guess at what's happening. If it's a reproducible problem, please post the file paths. You can copy & paste debug info from the Rename panel by pressing the F7 key.

FileBot can certainly copy selected files to selected media devices, but any capability that resembles an DLNA media server is not currently planned.

:idea: 3rd party media server plug-ins are conceivable though. Though, there's only my Plex FileBot Xattr Scanner plug-in at this point AFAIK:
viewtopic.php?t=10969
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.