How do I set the movie format?

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
CzechMate

How do I set the movie format?

Post by CzechMate »

Hello everyone,

this is my first post, so first of all, big thank you for such a wonderful piece of software. I am literally amazed what it can do and I humbly admit, that I am not able to comprehend all its features! Thank you again!

The reason I bought this software and subsequently created this post is, that I have large collection of movies and TV shows on my WD Mycloud. They are all named in a different manner, some have their own folder, some don't. So I would love to clean up this mess. What I am able to do now is just a basic renaming, but I am unsure how to proceed with the rest. So I would appreciate help from someone more skilled and capable to understand the concept behind all these codes FB is using. Here is the setup:

WD Mycloud, public folder named "Public" with subfolder named "Filmy" and inside is the mess. I would like the FB to create folder for every item:
- Movie
- TV Show / Serie

Put them in these folders and rename them:

Movie:
Name - Year - Language - Source

TV Shows:
TV Show name - Episode # - Name - Year of airing

I don't necessarily need to do it in a single batch, I can do multiple steps, but I don't know how to do that Folder creation and Move steps...
I can't imagine is this is even possible, so I will accept if it isn't, but I've seen some magic being done with this software, so I have hope... :-)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
CzechMate

Re: Rename - Create folder - Move - please help

Post by CzechMate »

I decided to manually move TV Shows in separate folder in order to make the task easier and renaming them was a piece of cake then... I would still appreciate help with movies... :-)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Separating TV Shows and Movies is a good first step.

As for custom formats, I'm just gonna guess what you want, since you didn't really specify exactly...

Episode Format:

Code: Select all

TV Shows/{n}/{'Season '+s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t} - {airdate.year}
Movie Format:

Code: Select all

Movies/{n} ({y})/{allOf{n}{y}{audio.language}{source}.join(' - ')}
audio.language and source may or may not be defined depending on mediainfo or filename.

I recommend generating absolute paths, not relative paths, if you wanna sort files into a new folder structure.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
CzechMate

Post by CzechMate »

Re Movies: Thank you rednoah, I tried what you have suggested, it did not move files into new folders... :-( I tried generating absolute paths, but maybe I don't know how todo it... I have pressed the Folder icon in the setting and that generated a path into the filed with parameters...
Any suggestion what might have gone wrong? It did rename the files though, but there is no audio language or source in the names...

thank you very much!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The format is a template for the destination path. If it's a relative path, then it'll be relative to the original file. Files will be moved EXACTLY as shown in the New Names list. It is impossible for files to be renamed but not moved if you're using the formats I gave you.

@see http://www.filebot.net/getting-started/

{audio.language} is based on MediaInfo. It should work for *.mkv and *.mp4 files, but it won't work for *.avi files.

{source} is based on the filename. If the filename doesn't contain source tags like DVD, BD, etc then it won't work. You can do other things based on media info depending on what "source" means to you.

PS: if you don't know what you're doing, it's generally helpful to post screenshots of what it is that you are doing => http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1868
CzechMate

Post by CzechMate »

Thank you rednoah for your patience. I will post screenshots:

1. I selected few files in the "Volumes/Public/Filmy" folder:

Then I specify what needs to be done with the files by using your commands with the correct path (movies should get moved from Filmy to Films and appropriate subfolder?):

Then I hit Match and this is the outcome:

After that, I hit Rename. Files stay in the folder where they were before. The folder "Films" was not created and nothing has been moved. (movies weren't renamed this time, because they already are named as per your commands)

Please let me know what am I doing wrong. Thank you!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The episode format needs to be set as "Episode Format". The movie format needs to be set as "Movie Format". You set the movie format as "Episode Format" and didn't set the "Movie Format" at all.

Just double-click an item in "New Names" which will automatically send you editing the right format. If you use "Edit Format" you need to cycle through Episode/Movie/Music formats to set the right now.
CzechMate

Re: How do I set the movie format?

Post by CzechMate »

Excellent, thank you so much! This finally works and the fault was of course my lack of comprehension... And believe me, before I posted here, I did study the Getting started and tried to look up the solution on the forum.
Thank you again, excellent software, some features could be better explained, but excellent anyway! :-)
rednoah
The Source

Re: How do I set the movie format?

Post by rednoah »

btw, thanks for the nice review~ Much appreciated, especially since it's the first on the Czech app store. :)