Installed bug fix but now requires license key????

Support for Windows users
donfu

Installed bug fix but now requires license key????

Post by donfu »

I acquired a lifetime license for FileBot, but today, when prompted to update to the latest version featuring bug fixes, I proceeded with the update.

However, the updated version now requests a new license key, rendering FileBot unusable unless I purchase a new one.

This situation feels unjust, especially when updating from a prior release. What alternatives or solutions are available to me?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Installed bug fix but now requires license key????

Post by rednoah »

:idea: All license keys work for all versions FileBot. New versions do not require a new license key. If you are getting an error, then it's likely an unintended technical / network issue.

:?: What does the error message say? You can click on the error message to copy & paste the error message.

:?: What does the log say? Please read How to Request Help if you need help finding the log.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
donfu

Post by donfu »

When I hit the Rename button, I get a dialog that says License Required, Paste License Key, Select License Key, Purchase License Key.

I have tried over several days and my network is working OK.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:?: What happens if you select / paste your license key?

rednoah wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 03:19 :?: What does the error message say? You can click on the error message to copy & paste the error message.
Please answer Question 1. The answer to Question 1 may help us identify the problem which then allows us to help you. The error message will allow us to make an educated guess as to what's going awry.

rednoah wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 03:19 :?: What does the log say? Please read How to Request Help if you need help finding the log.
Please answer Question 2. The answer to Question 2 may also help us identify the problem which then allows us to help you. The log will tell us exactly what's going on.
donfu

Post by donfu »

I entered the key for the previous version(I don't have it now), and has been working for the last year(?). When I updating last week, it is now asking me for the key. I cannot paste it since I do not have it.

Here is the log:

Code: Select all

# C:\Users\donfu\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\logs\error.log
Aug 30, 2023 2:22:00 PM net.filebot.DiskStore acquireDiskStore
WARNING: Initialize new disk cache: C:\Users\donfu\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\0
Oct 29, 2023 10:19:03 AM net.filebot.DiskStore acquireDiskStore
WARNING: Initialize new disk cache: C:\Users\donfu\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\1
Oct 29, 2023 10:20:25 AM net.filebot.DiskStore acquireDiskStore
WARNING: Current application revision (r9982) does not match cache revision (r9972)
Oct 29, 2023 10:20:25 AM net.filebot.DiskStore acquireDiskStore
WARNING: Initialize new disk cache: C:\Users\donfu\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\0
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The log above does not show any license activation error, nor does it show a license activation attempt first place. So you mean to say that you haven't tried to activate your license key because you have lost your license key?

:?: Did you purchase FileBot on this website and get a standalone license key by email, or did you perhaps purchase FileBot from the Microsoft Store?

:idea: Please read How do I recover a lost license key? for details.

:idea: If you have purchased FileBot on the Microsoft Store or Mac App Store, then you do not have a standalone license key. Please read How do I restore my Microsoft Store or Mac App Store purchase? for details.

EDIT:

I ran a search with the email address that you have used to register here in the forums and found a recent 1-year license purchase:

Code: Select all

Product: FileBot
Name: fi***
Email: fi***@outlook.com
Order: P49749477
Issue-Date: 2023-05-10
Valid-Until: 2024-05-17
:!: This purchase is only half a year old and notably not a life-time purchase as previously indicated. Please double-check your records.

:arrow: We have re-sent your license key to your email address. Please store it carefully in case you need it again in the future.

:!: Since you are using @outlook.com you may find the email in your Junk mail folder.
rednoah wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 08:11 :!: Microsoft email services such as @hotmail.com and @outlook.com and @live.com will erroneously classify some of your emails as junk and automatically delete them after only 10 days. The Windows Mail desktop application hides junk mail by default and so you will never know that you missed something unless you explicitly check outlook.live.com at least once per week.

Button
donfu

Post by donfu »

Thanks RedNoah. I had thought that I had purchased a life license, but I'm sure your records are correct. I'll use this one you sent and when expires, I will definately upgrade to the lifetime one. Thanks for the replies an help :-)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Cheers! Glad we could solve this mystery!