How do I delete the recent formats list?

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
iulianv

How do I delete the recent formats list?

Post by iulianv »

I don't seem to find a way to delete some of the recent formats from the list. Please help.

rednoah
The Source

Re: How do I delete the recent formats list?

Post by rednoah »

You cannot. If you add new ones then previous ones will be removed. AFAIK, there is no downside to keeping previously confirmed formats around for a bit just in case you want to use them again.

:?: Out of curiosity, what is the underlying use case that would be streamlined by removing / clearing recent formats? What is the use case / thought process that leads to "I want to delete recent formats" at the end?

:arrow: If you find yourself switching between recent formats as you switch between different use cases for different files, then perhaps creating a Preset for each of these use cases would would be a better way of doing things?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
iulianv

Post by iulianv »

1. Any chance you would consider coding such a feature in a future version?
2. I do indeed have a thought process that leads to "I want to delete recent formats." This thought process has occured many times. So where do I upload a screen capture video to demonstrate this?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

YouTube usually works best. But you can also share via Google Drive or One Drive if that's easier for you. If the use case makes sense, then we'll see about implementing a good solution.
iulianv

Post by iulianv »

I've sent you a PM with the google drive link for the screen capture.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Tip 1:
If you have already loaded and matched a file, then you'll want to use Double-Click <New Names item> ➔ Edit Format to open the Format Editor with that specific pair of File / Movie information. That will allow you to quickly check different formats for that specific Spanish movie right there in the Format Editor.

Screenshot Screenshot

Tip 2:
If you have 2 or more movie formats that you use regularly / switch between regularly, then you'll want to create a Preset for each. The first preset would be "Movie: Original (English)" with the corresponding format configured as part of this preset. The second preset could be "Movie: Spanish" with it's own configuration. You can then click on "Movie: Original (English)" or "Movie: Spanish" depending on the use case at hand without ever opening the Format Editor again.

Screenshot Screenshot

:?: Have you tried using Presets? Where did you get stuck? Does it not solve the problem? Based on what I can see in the video you shared, a Preset would solve the problem. You just need to figure out the format you want once and then save it into a preset. You can create as many presets as you need, each with its own dedicated custom format.

EDIT:

:?: Do you by any chance switch between formats because there are (A) some movies where the English title is the original title and so you want Name (Year) for these files, and (B) movies where the English name is a translation and so you want English Name (Original Name) (Year) for those files?

In this case, you'll want to use a single format that is smart enough to give you the file names you want for both Case (A) and Case (B) so that you never have to switch between formats:

Format: Select all

{ n == primaryTitle ? n : n + ' (' + primaryTitle + ')' } ({y})
iulianv

Post by iulianv »

Yes, I tried presets. Yes they work. I am also happy to see I can delete presets :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you by any chance switch between formats because there are (A) some movies where the English title is the original title and so you want Name (Year) for these files, and (B) movies where the English name is a translation and so you want English Name (Original Name) (Year) for those files?
No, I always want the first to be the original title no matter the language English, Spanish, French etc. I only want a translated title in English to appear after the original, if the original is not English.

For example:

Szegénylegények (The Round-Up) (1966, Miklós Jancsó) 1080p 2ch - this is a Hungarian movie so I need the translated title in English.
Blue Thunder (1983, John Badham) 1080p 6ch - this is an English language movie, I do not need a translated title.

Anyway, like I said the presets work. Mind you I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program and the recent formats did not disappear. Is there some file in %APPDATA% that I can delete so I can make them disappear?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Do you by any chance switch between formats because there are (A) some movies where the English title is the original title and so you want Name (Year) for these files, and (B) movies where the English name is a translation and so you want English Name (Original Name) (Year) for those files?
iulianv wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 19:07 No, I always want the first to be the original title no matter the language English, Spanish, French etc. I only want a translated title in English to appear after the original, if the original is not English.
So that's a yes actually. The point is that you can use a single format that works for both cases so that you never need to switch between formats:

{ n == primaryTitle ? n : primaryTitle + ' (' + n + ')' } ({y})
Screenshot
:idea: Note how a single format can generate different file names for different movies. You only need one single format for the task at hand. You do not need to switch between formats for this use case.

:arrow: tl;dr use this one single format; it'll work for all your movies:

{ n == primaryTitle ? n : primaryTitle + ' (' + n + ')' } ({y}, {director}) {vf} {af}

On Windows, your preferences are stored in the Windows Registry. You may open CMD and then run filebot -clear-prefs to reset all settings and preferences.

EDIT:

FileBot r10191 adds a new Clear recent formats menu item to the list. Will require SHIFT-CLICK and is thus hidden for most users to avoid accidents.
iulianv

Post by iulianv »

Well the format you indicated mostly works. Mostly :)

The third title should be The Human Beast in between the parentheses.

Where can I download the dev build?
And thanks for taking the time to help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: La Bête Humaine is the English title, according to the database, and so that is what {n} will give you:
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/29415- ... uage=en-US

:idea: You can check Latest Beta Revisions and Release Candidates once in a while. There should be a new build every week or so. FileBot r10191 is notably not yet available.