Page 1 of 1
[arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 01 Dec 2021, 07:21
by rednoah
Prerequisites:
UPDATE: 10 Feb 2024
Universal JDK (as opposed to architecture-specific JDK) is
not viable. The
App Store Connect developer interface does not support the upload of multiple app bundles per architecture neither, so we are at an impasse. We can use
lipo to combine binaries and libraries, but architecture-specific runtime resource files
(notably jrt-fs.jar, modules, classlist, etc) are an unsolved
(i.e. unsolvable to us; but easily solvable by Apple if someone were to care) problem. The
lipo tool cannot combine resource files and the JDK wouldn't be able to work with combined resource files even if we could combine them. Notably, the Mac App Store does not currently allow submissions where an arm64-only version replaces a previously released x64-only version.
UPDATE: 12 May 2026
As soon as Apple either allows us to publish a x64 and a arm64 package, or allows us to publish
only an arm64 package.
Apple wrote:To only support Macs with Apple silicon, your app must require a minimum OS version of macOS Monterey 12 or later,
and have never supported Intel-based Macs. Apps can add Intel support and lower the minimum OS version in an update but, once released, they cannot return to only supporting Apple silicon.
https://developer.apple.com/app-store/submitting/
For technical reasons, FileBot can be either x64 or arm64 but not both, as would usually be the case for macOS-only software. So we're in a bind there. We can only do one or the other.
The x64 package works for both x64 and arm64. The arm64 would only work on arm64. For technical reasons, we cannot do both. Apple also - for the time being - does
not allow us to
not publish a x64 package. While new apps can be arm64 only, apps that have a x64 version already are
not allowed to drop support for that. This rule might change in the future when Apple themselves officially drop support for x64.
In the meanwhile, if you must have an arm64 binary, then the non-Store edition is available in either x64 or arm64 flavours.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 06 Dec 2021, 08:26
by eMeR
Nice to see native AS support is in progress

. Any realistic ETA for the release?
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 06 Dec 2021, 08:35
by rednoah
No ETA since arm64 support in FileBot requires arm64 support in all 3rd party dependencies, many of which have not been updated in years. The x86_64 binaries are known to work well via on arm64 via Rosetta binary translation though.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 10 Dec 2021, 13:15
by rednoah
FileBot_4.9.5_arm64.pkg is now available for testing:
https://get.filebot.net/filebot/BETA/

Optional dependencies that aren't available for
aarch64 (e.g. fpcalc / AcoustID) are not included and won't work.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 14 Dec 2021, 13:43
by eMeR
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 14 Dec 2021, 13:53
by rednoah
The fpcalc executable is still x86_64 (used exclusively for AcoustID) but other than that it's all arm64. The arm64 JRE runs things ~3x faster compared to x86_64 JRE under Rosetta.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 15 Dec 2021, 17:56
by eMeR
rednoah wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 13:53
<...>The arm64 JRE runs things ~3x faster compared to x86_64 JRE under Rosetta.
Impressive!
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 16 Dec 2021, 03:31
by rednoah
eMeR wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 17:56
Impressive!
Well, Rosetta translation working correctly at all for just-in-time compiled code, at only a 3x performance penalty no less, the Apple engineers really outdid themselves there. IMHO, that's the really impressive thing here!

There probably won't be a noticeable performance difference between running FileBot on a high-end macOS M1 machine and a high-end Windows / Linux machine with Intel or AMD inside.

Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 24 Dec 2021, 02:52
by rednoah
fpcalc has now shipped arm64 binaries as well, so the arm64 bundle is now arm64 only.
回复:[arm64]苹果硅路线图
Posted: 06 Sep 2023, 02:59
by sunny
Are there any plans to make the arm64 version of filebot available for the apple store?
Re: 回复:[arm64]苹果硅路线图
Posted: 06 Sep 2023, 07:16
by rednoah
sunny wrote: 06 Sep 2023, 02:59
Are there any plans to make the arm64 version of filebot available for the apple store?
FileBot itself does support x64 and arm64 and has a separate package for each, but due to arbitrary technical limitations of the Mac App Store, we can only publish one of them through the App Store. Thus we can make it either x64-only with arm64-compatibility via Rosetta translation, or arm64-only with x64 users left dead in the water. There is no good solution. We are stuck at the status quo. I would strongly recommend avoiding the Mac App Store for
this and other reasons. I'd add that to the Mac App Store product description but Apple Review does not like that.

A x64+arm64 universal package for FileBot would require a x64+arm64 universal package for OpenJDK which currently does not exist and may very well never exist.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 26 May 2026, 05:54
by rednoah
I kept getting the "Intel Support Ending" message so I went on the Mac app Store to find the ARM version.
The MAS only has the intel version available to me.
I downloaded the ARM version from your website and exported the settings from intel and restored to the arm version. My presets were installed correctly but my license is not applied.
Thanks in advance for sending me the arm equivalent license.
Short answer:
If it works, ignore the message. Don't worry about it, until something actually doesn't work.
Long answer:
* MAS purchase / universal-standalone license are not interchangable:
FileBot Pricing Explained
* MAS purchase is currently x64-only and will switch to arm64-only as soon as Apple allows us to do that:
[arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap › Q: When will FileBot publish arm64 binaries on the Mac App Store?
In the meanwhile, I can issue a complimentary 1yr universal-standalone license for your convenience.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 29 May 2026, 11:54
by wsetliff
I purchased filebot via the Mac store. Like the person above, I've been receiving the warning that support for the intel version is going to stop, so I downloaded and installed the ARM64 version. When I try to rename, it asks for my license and will not function without it. I looked under "About" using the Intel version (trying to find a license number) and it doesn't give a license number but reports it was purchased using the Mac app store. Help please! Thanks
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 29 May 2026, 12:04
by rednoah
MAS purchases don’t have a standalone universe license number. See post above.
The MAS edition will notably not be discontinued. The message you see is misleading. It’s a generic message by Apple, not us, and not specifically about FileBot. We will switch the MAS edition to ARM64-only if and when Apple allows us to do so. Don’t worry. It’ll be fine.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 10 Jun 2026, 03:26
by irateuser
So you're saying "we are too stupid to upload a correct version for future versions of macOS" because this is a simple development issue that anyone with more than six months experience with software engineering could fix. Seriously how are you this dumb?
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 10 Jun 2026, 03:53
by rednoah
Q: When will FileBot publish arm64 binaries on the Mac App Store? explains the issue in detail. Please read that first and then point out specific aspects you would like to discuss or find dumb.
We are saying
"Apple currently prevents us from uploading a correct version for future versions of macOS" but you don't have to worry about that at all because
macOS 27 will still ship with Rosetta 2 so everything will continue to work as usual. After the release of macOS 27, Apple will presumably allow us to switch to ARM-only builds, so that's when we will switch to ARM-only builds.
tl;dr don't worry, everything will continue to work as usual
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 12 Jun 2026, 21:47
by irateuser
Current error when running FileBot (Mac App Store version) through Rosetta 2:
Code: Select all
"class ca.weblite.objc.Proxy cannot be cast to class java.lang.String (ca.weblite.objc.Proxy is in unnamed module of loader 'app'; java.lang.String is in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')"
so it in fact is NOT usable in its current state
maybe you should hire someone with a brain.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 13 Jun 2026, 03:48
by rednoah
At a glance, probably not a Rosetta / Intel / ARM issue at all. Probably something else. Probably
not something that an ARM version would fix. Though I cannot reproduce the issue on my M1 MacBook with macOS 26.5 here. Can you provide more information so we can investigate and fix this bug?

When do you get this error? On startup? After you click on some button? Can you
copy & paste the logs so we can see more details? Which version of macOS are you running?
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 25 Jul 2026, 18:35
by spressman
Hello @rednoah
I purchased lifetime access to FileBot through the Mac App Store.
The Mac App Store x64 version of FileBot 5.2.3 fails on my Apple-silicon Mac with the following error:
Error: Select all
class ca.weblite.objc.Proxy cannot be cast to class java.lang.String
The standalone ARM64 version works correctly, but it requires a separate licence. Could you please provide a standalone ARM64 licence that preserves the lifetime access I already purchased?
I understand that the App Store and standalone licensing systems are separate, but the App Store version is currently unusable on my system.
I can provide proof of purchase and my account details privately by direct message upon request.
Thank you for your help.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 25 Jul 2026, 20:04
by rednoah
There are
known issues on
macOS 27 Golden Gate. Apple changed something and broke things. It happens. You have upgraded to a beta of macOS after all.
The issue at hand is notably entirely
unrelated to Apple Silicon / Intel / Rosetta / etc, but does effect MAS / non-MAS editions of FileBot differently. A workaround has already been implemented in the
latest revision. The Mac App Store edition will be updated in due course, some time before the public release of
macOS 27 Golden Gate which is currently expected to be in
September 2026. You can use the latest beta of FileBot 5.2.4 in the meanwhile if you're already on the latest beta of macOS 27 Golden Gate. We can provide a complimentary 1-year license for that if you want to run tests on the latest beta.
tl;dr
macOS 27 Golden Gate requires
FileBot 5.2.4 or higher
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 06 Sep 2026, 19:11
by boersenhai
rednoah wrote: 26 May 2026, 05:54
I kept getting the "Intel Support Ending" message so I went on the Mac app Store to find the ARM version.
The MAS only has the intel version available to me.
I downloaded the ARM version from your website and exported the settings from intel and restored to the arm version. My presets were installed correctly but my license is not applied.
Thanks in advance for sending me the arm equivalent license.
Short answer:
If it works, ignore the message. Don't worry about it, until something actually doesn't work.
Long answer:
* MAS purchase / universal-standalone license are not interchangable:
FileBot Pricing Explained
* MAS purchase is currently x64-only and will switch to arm64-only as soon as Apple allows us to do that:
[arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap › Q: When will FileBot publish arm64 binaries on the Mac App Store?
In the meanwhile, I can issue a complimentary 1yr universal-standalone license for your convenience.
If your offer is still available, I am interested in a 1yr universal-standalone licence.... Thanks a lot!

Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 06 Sep 2026, 19:36
by rednoah
boersenhai wrote: 06 Sep 2026, 19:11
If your offer is still available, I am interested in a 1yr universal-standalone licence.... Thanks a lot!
I have issued a test license for you. If you're on
macOS 27 Golden Gate Beta then the
latest beta is required for compatibility with
macOS 27. Please report back if you encounter any issues. A stable release of FileBot compatible with
macOS 27 is scheduled for some days before the public release date of
macOS 27.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 11 Sep 2026, 07:01
by Wingfat
I would also like to request a 1yr license to get me passed the Mac store problem. I am on MacOS 27 at this point. I do not see any way to ask for this offer other then leaving this message and I apoligze if this is not the correct way to request this. I understand your problem with Apple play store. How do I prove I purchased the App store version? Thank You
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 11 Sep 2026, 07:27
by rednoah
Wingfat wrote: 11 Sep 2026, 07:01
I would also like to request a 1yr license to get me passed the Mac store problem. I am on MacOS 27 at this point.
FileBot 5.3.0 (which resolves the macOS 27 Golden Gate issue) has been accepted by Apple and is now live in the Mac App Store. Please update to the latest version and it'll work.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 12 Sep 2026, 01:25
by Wingfat
I understand that V5.3.0 will work on MacOS 27. That is not what I'm inquiring about. I would like the 1yr complimentary license to the arm-non rosetta version which will work on MacOS 28. Then when MacOS 28 is released it is hoped Apple will at that time allow you to post your non-rosetta version for us folks that purchased your software via the App store. I am trying to eliminate all rosetta programs now. Even though Claude has coded me an app for quick and dirty "file bot" functions it is crude and your program is quite elegant. I know you don't want to disappoint the users that helped you along the way. Thanks.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 12 Sep 2026, 09:49
by rednoah
Wingfat wrote: 12 Sep 2026, 01:25
I would like the 1yr complimentary license to the arm-non rosetta version which will work on MacOS 28. Then when MacOS 28 is released it is hoped Apple will at that time allow you to post your non-rosetta version for us folks that purchased your software via the App store. I am trying to eliminate all rosetta programs now.
Sure. We can do that. Just keep in mind that this weeks release is macOS 27, so macOS 28 is still a year away, and we will probably be able to switch to ARM-only well before the release of macOS 28. That said, if you just want to run ARM applications only right now on principle, that's fine too.

We will likely push Intel builds for the next 1-2 releases
(depending on issues reported) and then try to push ARM builds and see what happens during Apple Review. Importantly, we'll want to leave Intel users off with a very stable FileBot release that'll work well for many years to come.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 12 Sep 2026, 22:45
by Wingfat
Thank you.for your excellent support.. I will wait until the official Apple store version is approved to simplify things. Again.. your program has saved me countless hours over the years and sits in my dock with a very few other apps. Although many titles are automatically renamed by programs like Sonarr, yours continues to be essential in my arsenal.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 17 Sep 2026, 09:40
by toegelr
Hi,
I have installed the latest Mac App Store version of FileBot, 5.0.3 (r11096). On macOS 27.0 (26A428), I can no longer add files via drag and drop from my network storage, even though I granted network access during installation. The same workflow still works without issues on macOS 26.7. Is this a known compatibility issue, and is there any workaround?
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 17 Sep 2026, 10:45
by rednoah

How did you mount the network drive? If you do it via Finder ➔ Network and mount network drives the usual way into the standard mount points then it should work.

If you do something advanced / unusual
(e.g. mount NFS share into /mnt; mount as one user but access as another; etc) then macOS App Store sandboxing might throw a spanner in the works.

That's just a guess though. I have too little information to to narrow things down to one thing or another as nobody has reported a similar issue yet. A screenshot would be helpful to provide context. Does macOS reject the drag-n-drop operations at drag or on drop? Does FileBot accept the drop but then not add any files? Does the
Load button / File Selection Dialog work? What is the file path of the dropped file or folder? SMB or AFS or NFS share? etc

You could try the non-MAS edition to try and see if you get different behaviour.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 17 Sep 2026, 14:23
by toegelr
Thanks for the detailed reply.
The share is mounted in the normal way via Finder’s “Connect to Server” dialog using the SMB address smb://192.168.1.3/Data , so it should be a standard mount under /Volumes. The Load button / file selection dialog works correctly, but drag and drop from that share fails on macOS 27.0 (26A428). The same workflow still works without issues on macOS 26.7.
I also tried the non-MAS edition, and it shows the same behavior. So it does not seem to be specific to the Mac App Store sandbox, a screenshot doesn’t really show anything unusual, because the drop area simply stays empty.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 18 Sep 2026, 10:46
by toegelr
I retried it today, and now it works as expected: I can add a file from the SMB share via drag and drop just like on macOS 26.7. Yesterday the issue was consistently reproducible, but today it no longer occurs. The Load button / file selection dialog worked throughout. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 18 Sep 2026, 10:58
by toegelr
I’ve been using the standalone FileBot Subtitles app for years. I’m currently on version 4.7.21 (5327), and I’d like to know whether there are any plans to update it for Apple Silicon, or whether there is a current non-App-Store FileBot build that provides the same functionality. In other words: what is the current status / roadmap for this app?
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 18 Sep 2026, 11:09
by rednoah
toegelr wrote: 18 Sep 2026, 10:58
I’ve been using the standalone FileBot Subtitles app for years. I’m currently on version 4.7.21 (5327), and I’d like to know whether there are any plans to update it for Apple Silicon, or whether there is a current non-App-Store FileBot build that provides the same functionality. In other words: what is the current status / roadmap for this app?
The standalone subtitles application has been discontinued ~10 years ago. The reason for it's existence was that Apple required us to remove subtitles functionality from the App Store edition, and - at that time a long time ago - there was no other edition. Since 2018 we again provide full support for all platforms - independently of any platform store - and so the subtitles functionality is available for everyone that way since then.

tl;dr You'll want to use the non-App Store FileBot builds if you want the subtitles functionality.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 18 Sep 2026, 11:13
by rednoah
toegelr wrote: 18 Sep 2026, 10:46
I retried it today, and now it works as expected: I can add a file from the SMB share via drag and drop just like on macOS 26.7. Yesterday the issue was consistently reproducible, but today it no longer occurs. The Load button / file selection dialog worked throughout. Sorry for the inconvenience.
It happens. The latest macOS 27.0 Golden Gate still pretty buggy but will surely get better over time.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 18 Sep 2026, 15:09
by toegelr
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense — I’ll plan to purchase a lifetime license later this year so I can use the non-Store FileBot build with subtitle support and keep it compatible with macOS 28 when Rosetta is no longer available.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 18 Sep 2026, 15:19
by rednoah
toegelr wrote: 18 Sep 2026, 15:09
FileBot build with subtitle support and keep it compatible with macOS 28 when Rosetta is no longer available.
The
Subtitles feature is notably not paywalled. FileBot will only ask for a license when you use the
Rename feature.
Re: [arm64] Apple Silicon Roadmap
Posted: 18 Sep 2026, 20:18
by toegelr
Thanks for clarifying. I’ll probably buy a license in 2027 anyway, since I’d prefer not to keep two separate FileBot apps installed. I really like the software and I’m happy to support it as long as it keeps working on macOS.