Post processing TV series folders

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
JustaUser2

Post processing TV series folders

Post by JustaUser2 »

Running FileBot 5.0.0 (r9596)

I cant seem to find a way to configure the program to only work on one folder at a time when requesting post processing files. It always puts the extra files (urls, png, bmp and tvShow.nfo) in the parent folder of the folder I choose.

for example say I have the following folders in a folder:

Code: Select all

A Million Little Things S05 COMPLETE 720p AMZN WEBRip]                 							
Abraham Lincoln S01 COMPLETE 720p AMZN WEBRip]                         							
African Queens Njinga S01 COMPLETE 720p NF WEBRip]                     							
All American Homecoming S02 COMPLETE 720p HMAX WEBRip]                 							
American Dad [S19 FOX]                                                 							
Animal Crackers 1997 COMPLETE SERIES 720p WEBRip]                      							
Arctic Air 2012 COMPLETE SERIES 720p ROKU WEBRip]                      							
BEEF S01 COMPLETE 720p NF WEBRip]                                      							
Bel-Air S01 COMPLETE 720p PCOK WEBRip]                                 							
Beyond Magic With DMC S01 COMPLETE 720p DSNP WEBRip]                   							
Black Knight S01 COMPLETE DUBBED 720p NF WEBRip]                       							
Black Ops S01 COMPLETE 720p iP WEBRip]                                 							
BMF S02 COMPLETE 720p AMZN WEBRip]                                     							
Breakthrough-The Ideas That Changed The World S01 COMPLETE 720p WEBRip]							
Bupkis S01 COMPLETE 720p PCOK WEBRip]                                  							
Cal Fire S01 COMPLETE 720p DSCP WEBRip]                                							
Chimp Empire S01 COMPLETE 720p NF WEBRip]                              							
and I drag N drop "Artic Air 2012 COMPLETE SERIES 720p ROKU WEBRip]" into the original Files window of FileBot. Then I click on match and say that works. Then I click on Rename that works, but then it starts retrieving the post process files but puts them in the parent folder and then the NFO files gathers information from all those folders, not just the one I selected (which makes it useless and takes a real long time to finish).

What would be nicer to have would be an additional check box titled "FolderCentric" in which the process would place all files into the chosen folder, the NFO generator would only work on that one folder, and the URLs gathered would be named the series name instead of "tmdb" and "tvdb" generic names. Also, the process we have to go thru " F6 -> clickon 'MatchObject' -> F6 " would happen automatically.

The reason for these changes being requested is it would save a lot of time when doing hundreds of folders.

Thanks for your consideration.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Post processing TV series folders

Post by rednoah »

Are you renaming folders? FileBot generally assumes that you’re processing files, organizing files into a new folder structure, etc:
viewtopic.php?t=12263

The Link-Drop “Folder Mode” works by treating folder paths as if they were file paths, and so the strange behavior you get explains itself from there. The solution is to process the files, not the folders, and then have a custom format generate the file structure you want.

Can you elaborate on your use case?
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
JustaUser2

Post by JustaUser2 »

Its the same if I go into "Artic Air 2012 COMPLETE SERIES 720p ROKU WEBRip]" and drag the individual files into the FileBot window or not. Still puts the files in the parent folder and screws up the nfo file the same way.

In the end I am not changing the folder structure, but I do touch up the name of each folder. I keep each season together in an individual folder, but do have to touch up the folder name in order to have Plex recognize them easier, plus they remain portable and easier to maintain that way.

Is that the way it is supposed to work? Why does the nfo generator work on all the files in every folder, but the artwork and URLs are from 1 folder only, placed not in that folder?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:!: Please follow the How do I organize files for Plex? guide. The various post-processing actions assume that you're using {plex.id} as format, or at least something very similar.

e.g.

$ filebot -rename Alias.1x01.mp4 --db TheMovieDB::TV --output . --format "{plex.id}" --apply artwork nfo
[MOVE] from [Alias.1x01.mp4] to [TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Season 01/Alias - S01E01 - Truth Be Told.mp4]
[ARTWORK] http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/tv/75930/seasonthumb/Alias.jpg (TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Season 01/landscape.png)
[ARTWORK] https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/MasKO3CnMXL5rMGnBrV583y2mB.jpg (TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/poster.jpg)
[ARTWORK] https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/f8jrTem5NQnWAgQBBOg2vbh6gzm.jpg (TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/backdrop.jpg)
[ARTWORK] http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/tv/75930/hdclearart/alias-51bcfd1b24e30.png (TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/clearart.png)
[ARTWORK] http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/tv/75930/hdtvlogo/alias-503c0da536819.png (TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/logo.png)
[ARTWORK] http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/tv/75930/tvthumb/alias-4ead42d3e7c64.jpg (TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/landscape.png)
[NFO] TheMovieDB::TV::2046 (TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/tvshow.nfo)
The series *.nfo file and the series artwork go into the series folder, which is assumed to be the parent-parent folder of the target file path, and if that assumption does not hold true, then things will go awry:

$ filebot -find .
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Season 01/Alias - S01E01 - Truth Be Told.mp4
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Season 01/landscape.png
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/backdrop.jpg
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/clearart.png
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/landscape.png
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/logo.png
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/poster.jpg
TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/tvshow.nfo

:idea: Using tvshow.nfo as NFO file name in the series folder is the standard. But if you prefer Alias.nfo or Alias {tmdb-2046}.nfo for some reason, then you can use Plain File Mode mode to make that happen in a custom second step:

$ filebot -rename -r . --db file --file-filter 'ext == /nfo/' --format '{folder.name}'
Rename files using [Plain File]
[MOVE] from [TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/tvshow.nfo] to [TV Shows/Alias {tmdb-2046}/Alias {tmdb-2046}.nfo]

:idea: I use the CLI for illustration purposes, because the console output explains line by line what is happening. All of this can be done in the GUI and will work exactly the same.

JustaUser2 wrote: 18 May 2023, 21:59 Why does the nfo generator work on all the files in every folder, but the artwork and URLs are from 1 folder only, placed not in that folder?
:?: That likely depends on the specific file paths you are working with and how they're currently organized and what format you're using to re-organize them. If you could paste file paths as text and the format you are using, then we might be able to make a guess as to why.

:arrow: If things are still unclear, please post screenshots and file paths as text so that we can see what you can see, to make sure that we're on the same page. Please read How to Request Help for details.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.