Figure out good episode format

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
kolbdog32

Figure out good episode format

Post by kolbdog32 »

I am trying to figure out a good episode format that will include the year next to the title. A 0 in-front of the season number. I also want to be able to have a specials folder. Also i want to be able to handle multipart episodes if there is any since i don't always want to have a "-" separating episodes like this S01E01-E02 if an episode doesn't have a multipart.

Thank you for the help.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Figure out good episode format

Post by rednoah »

The {plex} format does everything you want:

Format: Select all

{ plex.year.id }

Code: Select all

TV Shows/Firefly (2002) {tmdb-1437}/Season 01/Firefly (2002) - S01E01 - Serenity
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 06:12 The {plex} format does everything you want:

{ plex.year.id }

TV Shows/Firefly (2002) {tmdb-1437}/Season 01/Firefly (2002) - S01E01 - Serenity
I am using an older free version of filebot i can't use the id format or year
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

kolbdog32 wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 01:12 I am using an older free version of filebot i can't use the id format or year
I guess you could try using the latest version? Which version are you using? Why not use the latest version?
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 06:54
kolbdog32 wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 01:12 I am using an older free version of filebot i can't use the id format or year
I guess you could try using the latest version? Which version are you using? Why not use the latest version?
I am using Filebot 4.8.5.
The reason I am not usign the latest version is because i have had no problems with this version except for wrong year for some TVShows when using

{plex}
and some binding issues since some bindings are not available otherwise I prefer this version for all my needs. It does almost all the same stuff as newer version just not as fancy or newer features.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

{ plex.year.id } not yet working seems like a problem. I see no hard technical / hardware / compatibility reason as to why you can't upgrade, so I guess you can just upgrade, no? It'll take less than a minute. I see no downsides.
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 06:30 { plex.year.id } not yet working seems like a problem. I see no hard technical / hardware / compatibility reason as to why you can't upgrade, so I guess you can just upgrade, no? It'll take less than a minute. I see no downsides.
For some reasson whenefver i put in the binding it says undefined.
I tried:

{plex.year.id}
Is there a way i can make it so its not undefined. How do i click them in sample to add bindings? I think they are not enabled yet since i never used them befre.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:?: Please provide screenshots so we can see what you can see. If you see an error message, then you can click on it to copy & paste the text content. Please copy & paste error messages verbatim.

:?: Please provide System Information to confirm which version you are currently using. Please read How to Request Help. Just to confirm, we are using the latest version now, correct?

:idea: In general, everything always works out-of-the-box, there is no such thing as "enabling / disabling" bindings. If you are using and outdated version, then some things just don't exist, because they were added later. That said, not all bindings always work, e.g. {plex} works for Episode and Movie objects, but not File objects. {s00e00} only works for Episode objects, but not Movie objects.

:arrow: Maybe I can provide more detailed information if you can show us what the problem is, specifically and exactly with screenshots, cause I can't really guess where you might be stuck at this point. The How do I organize files for Plex? manual / video tutorial is a good read / watch if you haven't read / watched it already.

kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 13:50 :?: Please provide screenshots so we can see what you can see. If you see an error message, then you can click on it to copy & paste the text content. Please copy & paste error messages verbatim.

:?: Please provide System Information to confirm which version you are currently using. Please read How to Request Help. Just to confirm, we are using the latest version now, correct?

:idea: In general, everything always works out-of-the-box, there is no such thing as "enabling / disabling" bindings. If you are using and outdated version, then some things just don't exist, because they were added later. That said, not all bindings always work, e.g. {plex} works for Episode and Movie objects, but not File objects. {s00e00} only works for Episode objects, but not Movie objects.

:arrow: Maybe I can provide more detailed information if you can show us what the problem is, specifically and exactly with screenshots, cause I can't really guess where you might be stuck at this point. The How do I organize files for Plex? manual / video tutorial is a good read / watch if you haven't read / watched it already.

I already tried

{plex.year.id}
I told you i can't get it to work it says:

Screenshot
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

If i use

{plex.year.id}

Binding "year": undefined
Nothing happens for some reason I can't only use the plex binding by itself. I can do

{n} ({startdate.year})/ {n} - {s00e00} - {t}

C:/Users/kolbdog32/Videos/Firefly (2002)/ Firefly - S01E01 - Serenity
The start date year appears fine. just can't do the shortened plex binding for some reason.
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

I can do the plex binding by itself I just can't add any periods after it for the bindings.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 13:50 :?: Please provide System Information to confirm which version you are currently using. Please read How to Request Help. Just to confirm, we are using the latest version now, correct?
And you can confirm that you have upgraded to the latest version and it still doesn't work? Because it sounds a bit like you're still using a very old very outdated version of FileBot, while I'm using the latest version for testing and prototyping format code for you, so it'd be good if we could confirm that we're on the same page first.

:arrow: The screenshot you posted suggests you are still using FileBot 4.8.5 so I recommend upgrading to FileBot 5.1.2 or higher, so that I can help you. Unfortunately, I can only provide support for the latest version.
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 14:57
rednoah wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 13:50 :?: Please provide System Information to confirm which version you are currently using. Please read How to Request Help. Just to confirm, we are using the latest version now, correct?
And you can confirm that you have upgraded to the latest version and it still doesn't work? Because it sounds a bit like you're still using a very old very outdated version of FileBot, while I'm using the latest version for testing and prototyping format code for you, so it'd be good if we could confirm that we're on the same page first.

:arrow: The screenshot you posted suggests you are still using FileBot 4.8.5 so I recommend upgrading to FileBot 5.1.2 or higher, so that I can help you. Unfortunately, I can only provide support for the latest version.
Why can't you just show me a format to use taht doesn't use the plex, kodi or emby binding? That is all i'm asking.
Also I like version 4.8.5 I am not upgradiong even though its recommened since it still works fine for my use.
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 14:57

Here is a code I found and made

{n} ({startdate.year})/{episode.special ? 'Specials' : 'Season '+s.pad(2)}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t}

Firefly (2002)/Season 01/Firefly - S01E01 - Serenity
Why can't you just show me where to put some of this binding

{n}{' - S' + s.pad(2) + episodelist.findAll{ airdate == it.airdate }.collect{'E' + it.episode.pad(2) }.join('-') + ' - ' + episodelist.findAll{ airdate == it.airdate }.collect{it.title }.join(' & ') }
Into the formatting I just gave that will work fine for my neeeds.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, if you found something that works for you, why not just use that? Looks good to me at a glance, added another {startdate.year} to the episode file name:

{n} ({startdate.year})/{episode.special ? 'Specials' : 'Season '+s.pad(2)}/{n} ({startdate.year}) - {s00e00} - {t}

Firefly (2002)/Season 01/Firefly (2002) - S01E01 - Serenity
:idea: {s00e00} works for multi-episode matches. So no problem there. All requirements from the OP fulfilled right there. I'd use that.

:!: The other custom format that uses {episodelist} seems to be custom made for some very special very specific use case. I don't have test files for that use case. I don't even know what that use case is. I therefore cannot help you modify that particular format. I am working under the assumption that you wrote your custom format yourself and thus know what your code does and why it does what it does. If you have blindly copy & pasted some format code from somewhere and thus don't know how your code works and what it does, please say so. Ideally, include links to the original source so we can read up on the reasoning behind the code you are using from the original author. Also, maybe you don't actually need any of this {episodelist} logic?
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 17:57 Well, if you found something that works for you, why not just use that? Looks good to me at a glance, added another {startdate.year} to the episode file name:

{n} ({startdate.year})/{episode.special ? 'Specials' : 'Season '+s.pad(2)}/{n} ({startdate.year}) - {s00e00} - {t}

Firefly (2002)/Season 01/Firefly (2002) - S01E01 - Serenity
:idea: {s00e00} works for multi-episode matches. So no problem there. All requirements from the OP fulfilled right there. I'd use that.

:!: The other custom format that uses {episodelist} seems to be custom made for some very special very specific use case. I don't have test files for that use case. I don't even know what that use case is. I therefore cannot help you modify that particular format. I am working under the assumption that you wrote your custom format yourself and thus know what your code does and why it does what it does. If you have blindly copy & pasted some format code from somewhere and thus don't know how your code works and what it does, please say so. Ideally, include links to the original source so we can read up on the reasoning behind the code you are using from the original author. Also, maybe you don't actually need any of this {episodelist} logic?
For some reason startdate for some shows always uses the airdate liek for example Helluva Boss on the main page it shows 2020 for the year but for smoe reason startdate and airdate always grab the year the first in the seasons like it grabs 2019 from the sesao page for first episode when on the main page the year is 2020 so am not sure why it always grabs the first episodes year for the show example Helluva Boss (2019) But the correct year based on the main tvdb page is Helluva Boss (2020).

Here is a link to the show so you see what i mean https://thetvdb.com/series/helluva-boss
Here is the code i use for the name year

{ny}
Doesnt work it sitll grabs the wrong year.

Sorry for posting this in here i just need to figure otu how to fix that then i will have a good formatting.
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

Sometimes it grabs correct year from main page sometimes it doesnt for shows.
Also i tried this code:

({startdate.year})
And this one:

{airdate.year}
They all do the same thing it seams.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Here's what I get:

Console Output: Select all

$ filebot -list --db TheTVDB --q 391246 --format "{y} | {startdate} | {airdate} | {episode}"
2020 | 2020-10-31 | 2020-10-31 | Helluva Boss - 1x01 - Murder Family
2020 | 2020-10-31 | 2020-12-09 | Helluva Boss - 1x02 - Loo Loo Land
2020 | 2020-10-31 | 2021-01-31 | Helluva Boss - 1x03 - Spring Broken
$ filebot -version
FileBot 5.1.2

:?: And you're saying that {y} is giving you 2019 for this series? I cannot reproduce this behaviour with the latest version at this point in time.

:?: Sounding like a broken record... Does it work with the latest version? Sounds like you really want to upgrade to the latest version, just to see if that works better for your needs for some reason. I can't debug old versions so I can't tell you why you might get different results.
kolbdog32

Post by kolbdog32 »

rednoah wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 03:03 Here's what I get:

Console Output: Select all

$ filebot -list --db TheTVDB --q 391246 --format "{y} | {startdate} | {airdate} | {episode}"
2020 | 2020-10-31 | 2020-10-31 | Helluva Boss - 1x01 - Murder Family
2020 | 2020-10-31 | 2020-12-09 | Helluva Boss - 1x02 - Loo Loo Land
2020 | 2020-10-31 | 2021-01-31 | Helluva Boss - 1x03 - Spring Broken
$ filebot -version
FileBot 5.1.2

:?: And you're saying that {y} is giving you 2019 for this series? I cannot reproduce this behaviour with the latest version at this point in time.

:?: Sounding like a broken record... Does it work with the latest version? Sounds like you really want to upgrade to the latest version, just to see if that works better for your needs for some reason. I can't debug old versions so I can't tell you why you might get different results.
It's becasue its an older version. I'm not to worried about it I'll just keep using the plex binding and the other I will use if a series shares same name or hard to find by scanning and i dont want it to grab wrong series by mistkae. I appreciate all teh help. Thanks anyways;