Feature Request - Ignore Folders

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
catcat

Feature Request - Ignore Folders

Post by catcat »

Short and simple, I would like an option, straight checkbox, to ignore folders entirely in searching/matching/naming, or an ability to access and edit the ignore list that already exists for folder names. I recognize others may find folder name inclusion in searches and matching as useful, but it causes me nothing but issues and I am absolutely not renaming my folders so this application will ignore them.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Feature Request - Ignore Folders

Post by rednoah »

Please post the file paths / folders you're having issues with.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
catcat

Post by catcat »

I am specifically asking for a generic feature that would solve all my current and future issues. If you do not wish to provide this feature, clearly state so. If you just want a bit more than free for this feature, please state a number.

Thank you.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you post file paths then we'll have a look, run tests, and see how to best approach the issue. The solution may be what you suggest. The solution may be something else, e.g. only consider folders up to a certain configurable depth, or not at all. Depending on the issue at hand. By providing test data / training data you can help make FileBot work better for yourself, and everyone else, free of charge. You can PM file paths you if you do not wish to post them publicly. Thank you.
catcat

Post by catcat »

Dir paths as follows:
/nice/pro
/nice/weed
/nice/Light
/abscond
/SRip
/bent
/Stable
/best
/love
/Bangle/only
/Bangle/Marble
/Bangle/red

Should I point out the number of times this feature has been requested before on these forums?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It has been requested a number of times, but usually for a perfectly reasonable "downloads / complete / temporary / etc" sorta folder name that is best added to the list for the benefit of all. But if you could link other related threads here for context that would be helpful.

catcat wrote: 01 May 2024, 18:30

Code: Select all

/nice/pro
/nice/weed
/nice/Light
/abscond
/SRip
/bent
/Stable
/best
/love
/Bangle/only
/Bangle/Marble
/Bangle/red
:?: Your folder structure makes no discernible sense. That does actually support your case. I would like to understand your use case for context though. I'd be curious what meaning each of these folder names has in your setup?

:idea: I also see folder names such as "best" and "love" which are already ignored folders, so if you indeed have issues with files in these folders, then that would be very interesting and relevant for the task at hand.

:idea: I did a test run with a made-up file paths using the first and last of your example folders and cannot reproduce an issue:

Console Output: Select all

$ filebot -rename -r . --db TheMovieDB::TV --action TEST --log INFO
[TEST] from [Bangle/Marble/Alias.1x01.mp4] to [Bangle/Marble/Alias - 1x01 - Truth Be Told.mp4]
[TEST] from [nice/pro/Alias.1x01.mp4] to [nice/pro/Alias - 1x01 - Truth Be Told.mp4]
:?: I would like to request at least one actual test case (i.e. sample file path as text) that allows us to see a use case that actually doesn't work. I'm sure you're looking at one. Some strange series name I cannot guess? Some strange file name I cannot guess? We'd like to see what you see.
catcat

Post by catcat »

The dirs I have confirmed issues in Filebot managing to pull an acceptable list for files that don't immediately match are as follows:
/nice/pro
/nice/weed
/abscond
/Bangle/only
/Bangle/Marble

The other dirs I listed because I was just listing all dirs I use Filebot on.

Actual example string:
/nice/weed/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976.mkv
which should pair to https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230160/
Instead it fully omits "weed" from the search and returns options entirely based on "nice" only under TheMovieDB matching, and OMDb straight matches it to "Mr. Nice."
Screenshot
Screenshot
Obviously, I can go in afterward and edit the match, then fill in the IMDb tt<number> against OMDb to correct. In hindsight, maybe just adding the searchable field from "Edit Match" directly to the match resolution window would be the way to resolve this?
Maybe like this?
Screenshot

In further analysis, ignoring folders (in my case) is likely to just limit the scope of bad returns and the aggravation of seeing obviously wrong options in the match list, but is unlikely to actually resolve the issue. I still think it would be a valuable setting to have available, if for no other reason than removing false matches in some cases.

Additional threads that have requested this as an option or including the folder was directly an issue:
viewtopic.php?p=10925
viewtopic.php?t=14136
viewtopic.php?t=14185
viewtopic.php?p=59171
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks for the file paths. I can now reproduce the issue:

$ filebot -find .
Movies/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976.mp4
nice/weed/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976.mp4
$ filebot -rename -r . --db TheMovieDB -non-strict --action TEST --log INFO
Movie not found: Movies/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976.mp4
[TEST] from [nice/weed/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976.mp4] to [nice/weed/Nice (2009).mp4]
The issue at hand is indeed that "Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976" seemingly does not exist, so things go awry from there.

So we have two separate issues here:
  1. FileBot does not work for adult movies
  2. FileBot uses parent folder names like "nice" that are obviously wrong and then repeatedly prompts for selection (a behaviour triggered by FileBot not working for the files at hand)

Workaround A: Use Strict Mode to suppress prompts

:arrow: You could use Strict Mode suppress prompts and selections and get to the "no result" result without user interaction:
rednoah wrote: 30 Jan 2017, 10:45 Match Mode: Strict is useful when processing large numbers of files that are already fairly well-named. Icon Strict matching means that FileBot will do it's utmost to avoid erroneous matches and ignore files where the correct match cannot be guaranteed. Consequently, in Strict mode there is no user-interaction or any kind of manual selection because files that do not contain enough information (e.g. movie name without year) are ignored right away.

Workaround B: Enable Automatic Selection to suppress prompts

:arrow: Alternatively, you can use the IconIcon toggle to suppress subsequent prompts and selections, so you can then use Edit Match to fix each mismatch one by one:
rednoah wrote: 30 Jan 2017, 10:45 Match Mode: Opportunistic (or -non-strict mode) is the default option and works for most people in most circumstances. Icon Opportunistic matching means that FileBot will do it's utmost to guess the best match for each file based on the information available in online databases (e.g. TheTVDB or TheMovieDB) and assumes that the episode or movie that each file represents actually exists in the online database.

:!: In those rare cases where the filename does not make sense (e.g. trying to match Firefly 2x01 which does not exist according to TheTVDB) the "best match" will still be a bad match since there is no correct match in the first place.

:idea: Consider switching from Icon Manual Confirmation to Icon Automatic Selection if the first option is consistently on point. Select (Icon) will auto-select the best match automatically for all subsequent choices. Skip (Icon) will skip all subsequent choices.

Screenshot

Actual Solution: Enable Adult Content

:arrow: The issue at hand is in fact that Draguse or the Infernal Mansion (1976) is an adult movie and the API does not include adult results by default. Setting net.filebot.TheMovieDB.adult=true to enable adult movies in search results makes this use case just work.

$ filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.TheMovieDB.adult=true
[TEST] from [nice/weed/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976.mp4] to [nice/weed/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion (1976).mp4]
Works the same in the GUI. I had to do a Clear Cache though since it was caching the "no result" search result from my previous default / no-adult test run.

EDIT:

:idea: Setting net.filebot.media.depth=1 should limit FileBot to only look at the file name component of the file path as well (among other things) but it seems to not work:

$ filebot -script fn:properties --def net.filebot.media.depth=1
[TEST] from [nice/weed/Draguse or the Infernal Mansion 1976.mp4] to [nice/weed/Weed (1972).mp4]
I will look into this one. This behaviour here seems unexpected.
catcat

Post by catcat »

Ah, apologies, I had entirely missed the not-adult in reading the manual. Setting the flag did indeed resolve the use case.
catcat

Post by catcat »

To be clear, I am still requesting the feature to ignore folders in matching/lookup. I frequently receive trash results in other pairing, just this single file lookup was resolved by the adult flag.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

catcat wrote: 13 May 2024, 14:15 I frequently receive trash results in other pairing, just this single file lookup was resolved by the adult flag.
I'd be happy to look at the issue. Please paste sample file paths as text so that I can run tests. Feel free to include multiple example file paths so that we can better understand your general use case / general issue at hand. A general explanation of why you do things the way you do things (though not strictly necessary) would also be interesting, and appreciated.