Board index Tips, Tricks and Tutorials Manual / FAQ

Manual / FAQ

How-to guides, frequently asked questions, not-so-obvious features, etc

Post 16 Nov 2011, 16:46
rednoah User avatar
The Source

Frequently Asked Questions

*** Not sure how to use FileBot? Make sure to watch the video tutorial! ***

Q: Can it move files? Can it rename folders? Can it pad Season/Episode numbers with leading 0s?
Yes, the naming scheme is extremely flexible. You can transform the given variables into exactly the path you want. Sorting files into a new folder structure is fully supported. Just define a path via the naming scheme, e.g.
X:/TV Shows/{n}/Season {s.pad(2)}/{e.pad(3)} - {t}

Q: How do I "fix" the misidentified files?
A: If the series / movie is not detect correctly you can use SHIFT-CLICK datasource to force manual input and selection of series / movie name. As a last resort you can always grab the episode list in in the Episodes tool and then drag-n-drop or copy-n-paste things over into the Rename tool. Then click "Match" to automatically align files with episodes or use drag-n-drop to reorder file or episode items. Here's a video tutorial that'll show you how it works.

If you're using the cmdline you can do achieve the same via --q and --filter options. Here's a another video tutorial on how to do this from the cmdline.

Q: How do I "fix" the misidentified files, or at least exclude them from the renaming?
A: Select the file that you want to exclude from renaming and press DELETE. The Original File / New Name entry will thus removed from the list.

Q: How can I change the episode numbering scheme to S00E00 instead of the default SxE?
A: Change the naming scheme via "Edit Format" to whatever you like. Note that anidb episodes don't have season numbers by default.

Q: How can I make FileBot only process video files? i.e. ignore artwork, nfo files, etc
That's easy, just selectively drag in the files you want. Search by *.avi OR *.mkv, then select everything and drag it into FileBot. Alternatively you can use the Analyze panel to group files by extension and then drag over the groups of files you'd like to rename. Alternatively you can also drag in a text file that contains only the paths you want to process.

Q: FileBot is deleting the extension from files when renaming. What did I do wrong?
You've set Extension: Override in Rename Options and ignored the Missing Extension warnings before renaming. Set it back to Extension: Preserve and all will be fine.

Q: Can I undo rename operations? Can I revert previously renamed files to their original names?
Yes. Just click on the little notebook icon in the "Original Files" area to open the Rename History and then right-click any item and select "Revert". If you still have the original torrent file then you can just drop it into "New Names" and then click "Match" to align your files with their original names from the torrent.

Q: Can I manually enter the series/movie name? How can I skip series/movie auto-detection?
A: Hold SHIFT when clicking a naming source to manually enter a series/movie name and bypass series/movie name auto-detection. Here's a video demo for that.

Q: How can I rename folders? It's only letting me rename files when I drop folders!
A: When you drop a folder into the "Original Files" area it will add all the files within that folder. Just add folders via Link-Drop (Ctrl+Shift+Drop) if you want to move/copy folders as a single unit. Here's a video demo for that. Special cases like DVD/BluRay/etc folders as well as XBMC movie folders with movie.nfo will automatically be handled correctly.

Q: How can I get rid of (US) (UK) (2005) etc at the end of the series name?
A: Adjust name via naming scheme, i.e. {n.replaceTrailingBrackets()}

Q: Can I quickly switch to a previously used naming scheme?
A: Yes. Just right-click the editor or hit DOWN when editing the format expression and you'll get a history of previously used ones.

Q: I've installed FileBot via the Ubuntu Software Center but when I'm trying to run it in the terminal I get: filebot: command not found
A: These kind of apps can't modify the PATH so the terminal can't find the "filebot" executable. Just add it to the PATH via:
sudo ln -s /opt/filebot/bin/filebot.sh /usr/bin/filebot

Q: I'm trying to run FileBot from the console, but I'm having trouble passing in --format because of spaces or double-quotes
A: You need to pass in arguments correctly. "..." allows you to pass in one argument that may contains spaces. Of course since " is a special character in argument parsing you'll need to escape each " with \" if you want to pass in the literal value. e.g. "This is called \"escaping\"." will pass in this sentence as one argument.

Q: Why do I get wierd TheTVDB matching results with some tv shows?
A: TheTVDB supports Airdate and DVD ordering. If you use DVD sort order but your files are in Airdate order then this can lead to mismatches when matching files to episode information.

Q: Why are some bindings not working in the Format Editor? It says BindingException: Path to media file has not been set
A: You haven't set any media file to test with. Click the (x)= button and set a media file.

Q: Why does MediaInfo not working? Why is 7zip not working?
A: If you're on 64-bit Windows but are actually running a 32-bit Java runtime, the whole java process will be in 32-bit compability mode, so the mediainfo native library also has to be the 32-bit version. If you have a 32-bit and a 64-bit Java uninstall all Java and then only install the latest 64-bit Java and latest 64-bit FileBot. If you're using 64-bit Java you must install 64-bit FileBot, if you're using 32-bit Java you must install 32-bit FileBot.
If you want to install 32-bit FileBot on an 64-bit operating system because you only have a 32-bit JRE, but the default installer will automatically install 64-bit FileBot, then you may need to directly grab the 32-bit package from sourceforge.

A: If you're running embedded Linux you will need libmediainfo.so and lib7-Zip-JBinding.so for your architecture. You can find compiled binaries here. If your machine is based on x86 or x64 then you should be able to use the generic Linux binaries. If it's ARM or PPC you'll probably need to cross-compile it for your exact architecture yourself.

This command can help you figure out the problem:
filebot -script fn:sysinfo

Q: How can I use my OpenSubtitles account? Why can't I download subtitles anymore?
A: If you're hitting the OpenSubtitles anti-leech limit you can get around that by login into your account rather than using the default anonymous account. Please consider becoming an OpenSubtitles VIP user by making a donation as well.
OpenSubtitles wrote:
VIP users have 5 times higher limits, than "normal" users, thats 1000 subtitles downloads per 24 hours.

You can set things up by just running this script and entering your login data:
filebot -script fn:osdb.login

Q: Why can't I move files to paths longer than 260 characters?
A: If you're using FileBot on Windows installed via the .msi it will use the Windows Move/Copy Dialog by default to move/copy files and may or may not support paths longer than 260 characters. You can disable this feature by setting -DuseNativeShell=false in the *.l4j.ini config files. If you're having issues just run via the FileBot (platform) shortcut which configures FileBot to use the standard Java file operations which have no such limits.

Q: FileBot just won't start. What's wrong?
Are you using remote desktop (RDP)? You'll need to tell Java Swing not to use Direct3D rendering. Not to worry, just launch via the FileBot (platform) shortcut and that option will be set automatically.
Are you using a customized Windows theme? There's a bug in the Java Swing Windows L&F that might crash the UI if you're using a modded Windows theme. A workaround for this problem is to force Java Swing to use an platform-independent theme (e.g. Nimbus). For people that have installed FileBot via the msi, launching with the FileBot (platform) shortcut should work.

Q: Why is FileBot changing timestamps?
On rename CreationDate is set to the episode airdate or movie release year. If the Windows Shell integration is enabled for move/copy operations then last-modified may be updated as well. You can disable these features by setting -DuseExtendedFileAttributes=false and -DuseNativeShell=false in the *.l4j.ini config files. When launching via the FileBot (platform) shortcut these features are disabled by default.

Q: After I renamed files and move them to my NAS or external HDD Windows it displays a "Property Loss" warning for file. It's very annoying! How can I get around that?
A: On Windows FileBot will store some metadata in NTFS Extended Attributes that will be lost if a file is moved to another filesystem that doesn't support EAs. You can disable this feature by setting -DuseExtendedFileAttributes=false in the *.l4j.ini config files. When launching via the FileBot (platform) shortcut this feature is disabled by default.

Q: FileBot can't connect to any of the webservices. It's not firewall issue. What else can I try?
A: Problems have been reported by people using IPv6 with Java 7 on Windows 8. If you get BindException: Cannot assign requested address: connect or SocketException: Connection reset or anything like that you can try forcing Java to use IPv4. Just set java.net.preferIPv4Stack in the *.l4j.ini file.
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Q: I'm running FileBot on a Linux machine and non-ASCII characters get all messed up. Why do unicode characters not work?
A: On some machines the locale is not set up. You'll need to tell Java what charset filenames are encoded with by setting the environment variable LANG. Also if you get an InvalidPathException about unmappable characters then it could very well be because LANG is not set up correctly.
export LANG=en_US.utf8

Q: When I try to start filebot it crashes immediately with an UnsupportedClassVersionError. What does that mean?
If you get an error like Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: net/filebot/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 it means that you're running Java 6 or Java 7 and that you will need to upgrade to Java 8.

Q: How can I tell what version of FileBot I got installed?
A: use "-version" cmdline flag
filebot -version

Q: What does fn mean when calling a script? Where should I put the script?
If you call -script fn:name then filebot will automatically fetch and update that script from GitHub. You don't need to download any of these scripts yourself unless you want to modify the code. If you want to run a local script just pass in a local file name.

Q: Why should I donate?
I've spent an immense amount of time on making this tool as automated and as easy-to-use as possible. How much time has FileBot saved you? How much mafan shit-work has FileBot done for you? All that without even asking for a price? I only ask you to donate what you think FileBot and my support here in the forums is worth.

Q: Where can I find the latest beta builds?
A: The platform-independent HEAD jar for the latest revision can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filebot ... ebot/HEAD/

You can update to the latest revision by just replacing the jar.
FileBot is free software. Please help support FileBot by writing a review or considering a donation.

Return to Tips, Tricks and Tutorials